• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydraulic rams for onboard jacks?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I want to add four hydraulic rams on each leg of my rock rails.Made to swing up and tuck tight and then easily swing down when needed.

They will be used for maintenance and as a means to lift the body off of logs or whatever I get stuck on the trail.

I would like to be able to control each ram individually or all together so I have to figure out how to hook them up to the power steering pump.

Any and all ideas appreciated!!!

I am thinking you ought to go do some 4 wheeling and learn a bit before you waste your time and money on these.

Not really sure this has to do with his wheeling skills but I don't see the point in it either. You would have to use a fairly long ram on each corner to get a lifted rig off the ground. Sounds like more trouble than its worth.

I want to add four hydraulic rams on each leg of my rock rails.Made to swing up and tuck tight and then easily swing down when needed.

They will be used for maintenance and as a means to lift the body off of logs or whatever I get stuck on the trail.

I would like to be able to control each ram individually or all together so I have to figure out how to hook them up to the power steering pump.

Any and all ideas appreciated!!!

It's more of an advanced question. Go here and ask these guys. They'll know. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/

Hopefully someone will post some advice...mainly about if the stock ps pump can operate these rams and what kind of control box is needed to operate these the way I want.

I think the pump could do A ram but probley not 4.

Although really man I do a lot of wheelin and seems like an I dea that needs some more thought. And prob. the scrap can! Not to be rude but it would cost a lot of cash and wouldn't really gain ya anything. If you have wheeled much you'de most likely know you just don't need em.

Hopefully someone will post some advice...mainly about if the stock ps pump can operate these rams and what kind of control box is needed to operate these the way I want.

Ive been looking at fitting a hydraulic winch.

Kits are out there for a power steering pump hookup ... but I doubt the factory pump would be up to the task satisfactorily.

What I have found is the availability of 12v electic pumps ... Which would run a hydraulic winch all day for the battery power drain of a quick pull by a large, heavy loaded electric winch.

Whilst I think the logistics and weights of rams mounted on the rockrails/bumpers would be a nightmare .... a portable, small hydraulic jack, placed under the axle same as a bottle jack would be handy thing ... or the winch ... or an in cab adjustable height, snowplough ... maybe even the poptop on a large campertrailer ... or a tipper trailer ;)

Once you have hydraulic power - there are all sorts of goodies you can buy/make to run off it.

Any hydraulics outfit will have a range of controllers - both manual lever and electic over-ride types.

I like "out of the box" thinking ............. :cheers:

Last edited:
I think the pump could do A ram but probley not 4.

Although really man I do a lot of wheelin and seems like an I dea that needs some more thought. And prob. the scrap can! Not to be rude but it would cost a lot of c

What makes this such a stupid idea to everyone?
Ok for starters these will allow me to leave the death trap accident waiting to happen hilift at home

Doing any kind of work to the jeep will be a lot easier because its a job in itself to drag my floor jack out(I don't have a garage right now so I have to wrench in a gravel drive way)

I can get four rams for really cheap and they don't have to be that long because I have lengths of a tow strap that I have cut down to limit axle droop whenever I go to jack up.

And like I've already mentioned can be used for self extraction if high centered because I don't know how to wheel(I wish I knew someone who can teach me how to wheel...98 stocker are you busy??can you teach me how???)

Ok I'm done justifying this mod,idc who thinks its stupid...all I want is advice on the logistics of making it happen

Last edited:
What makes this such a stupid idea to everyone?
Ok for starters these will allow me to leave the death trap accident waiting to happen hilift at home

Doing any kind of work to the jeep will be a lot easier because its a job in itself to drag my floor jack out(I don't have a garage right now so I have to wrench in a gravel drive way)

I can get four rams for really cheap and they don't have to be that long because I have lengths of a tow strap that I have cut down to limit axle droop whenever I go to jack up.

And like I've already mentioned can be used for self extraction if high centered because I don't know how to wheel(I already have a winch)

Ok I'm done justifying this mod,idc who thinks its stupid...all I want is advice on the logistics of making it happen

Go ahead and try it man. If it works awesome but I don't think you can A.) get all that to run off of the PS pump B.) Get everything tucked up safely out of the way for when your only option is to drop the rail down on a rock while on the trail and C. I think you would need a LONG ram at each corner, there isn't that much room under the Jeep!

Motor homes have some leveling jacks that run an electric motor to energize a pump. Best case scenario would be flat ground, and a vehicle with no articulation. Most Cherokees is hard to utilize a Hi-Lift Jack to get a tire off the ground due to flex.

Motor homes have some leveling jacks that run an electric motor to energize a pump. Best case scenario would be flat ground, and a vehicle with no articulation. Most Cherokees is hard to utilize a Hi-Lift Jack to get a tire off the ground due to flex.

Dont you fellas use the Hi-Lift to lift the wheel ???

Theres even a little sling with hooks available for rim types that the jack tongue wont reach in to.

Thats not true. The Majority of Cherokees are stock height.

Dont you fellas use the Hi-Lift to lift the wheel ???

Theres even a little sling with hooks available for rim types that the jack tongue wont reach in to.

I don't use a hi-lift. I have friends that have them that I wheel with so no real need for me to buy one. I stick to the easy stuff though so the risk of busting a tire on the trail is minimized.

Do you work with hydraulics? Or would this be your "learning" project? I had a similar idea a couple years back, but after considering the size of the rams neccesary, hoses, pump (electric or some whatever bastardized PTO I could scrounge up), tank, and a control box, it really became so much extra weight as to not be worthwhile.

Dont forget, you probably wont get a straight shot on the ram, so you will need to consider a larger rod to prevent bending. Also, Do Not get under a vehicle supported only by a jack! And unless you are very patient, I would forget about powering any of this off of the PS pump, The poor little guy has a hard enough time turning large tires at low pressure at minimal speed.

Good luck!

Back