• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd electrical/comp issue

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
97xj manual transmission. Every so often when I go to start it, I have nothing: no dash, nopower locks. Looks almost like a dead battery . I can jump it and it runs but as soon as I turn it off it is back to the same problem. On the other hand if I disconnect pos and Neg from battery and short them (drains comp) and hook them back up it will start and run fine for a few days/weeks till it happens again. Any ideas what can be wrong?

No nothing, not even headlights? Then disconnecting/ reconnecting the battery cables fixes it? Sounds like poor contact at the cables, might pick up a battery post cleaner from the parts store for 5 bucks and see how it does.

Pretty sure the power locks don't go through the pcm, though. I'd bet more on it being a spotty connection that gets 'fixed' by removing and flexing the battery cables.

Hmmm I thought that on the new model they did go through the pcm. Gonna play with the cables though as its possible that one of them is damaged.

Thanks but here is another stumper: when I jump it I do it on the post connectors. If it was bad cables I wouldn't he able to start it unless it was the ground one....

Next no-power situation turn on the headlights and see if they work.

You might have a problem with the PDC or the cables and they are getting jostled enough when you are messing with the cables to complete the circuit.

I'd say try the ASD relay. From what I understand, if you remove the ASD relay; that prevents the fuel pump, ignition coil, injectors from powering up. I sometime remove mine as a "poor man's anti theft measure. Maybe yours gave up the ghost...

I'd say try the ASD relay. From what I understand, if you remove the ASD relay; that prevents the fuel pump, ignition coil, injectors from powering up. I sometime remove mine as a "poor man's anti theft measure. Maybe yours gave up the ghost...

Would that kill the dash too?

Would that kill the dash too?

Not really sure... I got to wondering about that part. But his other attempts of jumping or shorting the battery cables, made it sound relay related. The ASD relay popped into mind as it controls some of the functions he's describing.

Also sounds like the main cluster plug and/or maybe a faulty ignition switch. I have a '98 in which the ignition switch is all weirded out. I can pull the key out in any postition... on, off, acc and in between.

Next no-power situation turn on the headlights and see if they work.

You might have a problem with the PDC or the cables and they are getting jostled enough when you are messing with the cables to complete the circuit.
This is my bet.

I fixed a '92 with a flaky positive battery clamp (it was a replacement clamp, there was corrosion between the wire and the clamp itself not between the battery and the clamp) in under a minute a few weekends ago. The owner (a friend of my brother's) told me that it randomly just died and wouldn't do anything, and he was pretty sure it was an NSS issue, so I brought my meter and FSMs and was ready to debug a big electrical issue... then realized the headlights were dead too. Touched the positive terminal and they came on, poked it again they went off... held it in place and it cranked fine and started. I don't think I've ever seen someone so confused/frustrated as the owner in my life :roflmao:

This is my bet.

I fixed a '92 with a flaky positive battery clamp (it was a replacement clamp, there was corrosion between the wire and the clamp itself not between the battery and the clamp) in under a minute a few weekends ago. The owner (a friend of my brother's) told me that it randomly just died and wouldn't do anything, and he was pretty sure it was an NSS issue, so I brought my meter and FSMs and was ready to debug a big electrical issue... then realized the headlights were dead too. Touched the positive terminal and they came on, poked it again they went off... held it in place and it cranked fine and started. I don't think I've ever seen someone so confused/frustrated as the owner in my life :roflmao:

Repair parts: $5; beer for the "Man": $10; the look on the owner's face: Priceless!

Back