• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i'm a bit lost, changing gears/axle.

biztyke

NAXJA Forum User
i have been searching endlessly and am still somewhat confused here. i got a deal on a set of near new bfg a/t 31s for $250, so i plan on putting them on soon(currently run some worn out bfg a/t 235s). trouble is, i have a 5 spd with 3.07 gears and i know the 31s will likely bog things down. i am going to put the tires on and just live with it for now, but i would like to upgrade to 4.10 gears.

now, my thinking is that the dana 30 up front would be ok(i dont plan on going to bigger tires and i dont offroad very often, but would like to do some more in the future). gears would cost me about $300 for parts, i am good with a wrench and wouldn't mind trying to do the swap myself........however, i found another dana 30 from a yj already geared to 4.10 for $140, much cheaper, would it fit?

as far as the rear, this is were i am unsure. i have a dana 35 right now, and the way i see it it is just not worth dumping money into it by changing the gears when it is already a weak axle. so i want to look for an upgrade, but what are my options? what possible donors are out there? i know i could go the 8.25 route fairly easy, or i could get a dana 44 or an 8.8. problem is, most yards around here charge too much, my best bet would be to go to a u pull and find and pull it myself. now, how do i identify these axles? which vehicles should i be looking under, and how to i know what gear ratio they have? i have seen a few 8.8s out of f150s for cheap on craigslist, would they fit? also, what about spline count? i am not sure, but i have a 90, would i be looking for a 27 spline?

i dunno, i guess i am just a little lost going into somewhat unfamiliar territory. i learn fast, just need a little direction to get started. thanks in advance.

as a side note, thinks like this(upgrading to new tires) sure make me realize what a slippery slope this can be as far as upgrading goes :).

235/75s and 31s are very close to the same size. ive done both 30s and 31 BFG A/Ts with 3.07s (now i got 4 baja claws that i picked up for $250 =P) and its not all that bad. not desirable... but if i wanted gas milage i wouldnt have lifted my jeep. 4.10s would be nice though. i have my own thread like this... haha:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1032197
take a read, it may answer some questions or give you other options.

but to address your question...

yj axel is the same width (correct me if im wrong) but new perches would have to be welded on. to start, yjs are leafs... not worth the trouble for a 30 in my opinion.

use this to see if you can locate a d30 and maybe a 8.25 with 4.10s near you. obviously there will be yards that dont inventory their parts, but thats where i started.
http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited:
31's on 3.07 MT is do-able. bolt em up and see how it goes, depending on location, road conditions, etc, you may be able to 'put it off'

4.10's from junkyard axles are the only reason i'd go 4.10, for 33's, you really want 4.56+. (I KNOW, your running 31's, but you'll move up later, and be in the same exact position)

so, if you pay for actual re-gearing (new gears, installed by a pro, do 4.56, gearing to 4.10's will cost the same as gearing to 4.56, and 4.56 gear has a much better resale value.

as far as 4.10 8.8's, check explorers, 95+ will have disc brakes ready to roll.

i'm running 31's on 3.07 and it's not bad at all, a tiny bit sluggish when starting from full stop but I used to run 33's on my 4banger TJ so it's barely noticeable when compared

31's on 3.07 MT is do-able. bolt em up and see how it goes, depending on location, road conditions, etc, you may be able to 'put it off'.

yeah, this is my plan for now anyways. just thought i would get a head start on gathering info.

i am thinking the 8.8 swap would be easiest simply because it would be easier(and cheaper) to find. i just wish the yards around here didnt charge so much. you guys with yards charging $100 an axle are lucky, i think i will be looking at $300-500.

Back