• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did XJ's get rear shoulder belts?

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to make some cargo nets for the rear cargo area of the XJ, and I need to know when XJ's started coming standard with rear shoulder belts. A friend has sent me pics of his 88 and 89, and they don't have them. His 93 does. So, it looks like sometime between 90 and 92, they became standard. Can anyone tell me when it was?
thanks!

I believe my friends 91 had them. So 91 (HO) switch probably brought with it the shoulder belts as well as some other changes...

But I'm not positive

I'd like a Ford Ranger style retractable "gun cover"

From here: http://www.tntrafficsafety.org/pdf/Retro.pdf

Until the 1990 model year, most cars had only lap
belts in the back seat. Shoulder belts have been required
in the outboard (side) positions in the back seats of new
sedans, station wagons, and hatchbacks made starting in
December 1989. The same requirement applies to vans,
SUVs, and pickup trucks starting with 1992 models.
Many manufacturers voluntarily offer “retrofit” kits
for installing shoulder belts in older sedans, station
wagons, and hatchbacks.

I know that the 91 and up XJ's have them and I have seen a couple of 90 models that did, but they may have been retrofitted.

Mine 1990 (production date 10-89) has them.

My '88 doesn't have them, but the top fixing points are there. I seem to remember people on this forum having retrofitted them into the 88/89 model. Seems to need a 'weld' nut at the roof mounting point which is missing from models that didn't have them. I've toyed with the idea of fitting them but haven't done so yet.

-------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo 4WD, 4.0Litre, Auto....and left hand drive in London!

my 88 doesnt have em :(

My 89 doesn't have them, but I do have all the parts to retrofit them. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.... :(

Back