• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mirror replacement

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I just bought a set of heated mirrors to replace my stockers on my 98. I know it's just a direct swap, but my question is in regards to removing the old mirror. It looks like there is a separate plastic molding that you can remove JUST that piece in order to access the nuts that hold the mirror on. Is this true, or does the whole door panel have to come off first?

I know it's easy, I just HATE removing door panels....I always break something, it never fails!!!

Door panel is easy to take off- couple of screws, the plastic clips, electrical connections, and the door handle/lock linkages. Only takes a few minutes. I believe the sail panel has a screw hidden behind the panel, and I think the connector for the mirror is down there as well. I might be thinking of the harness for the tweeter though.

just take the door panel off. There is a hidden screw, but the panel is so easy, get it off there

X2. You can get special tools to help remove the door panel without breaking the clips, check the auto aisle at harbor freight. I never bother disconnecting the door lock linkages when I'm not doing anything extensive, you should be able to swivel the panel down a little and access that screw very easily without disconnecting anything aside from peeling the panel off.

You will have to remove the panels, as previously stated, the screw for the sail panel is hidden. But, you must also access the wiring to make your mirrors operate, if the wires are even there. Best thing to do when getting power options is to go as far back into the harness as you can, getting wiring, clips, etc. Or, at least take a picture or make a quick sketch to see where you may be able to hook it up. At some point you can usually find a place to jump into the harness, if the wires aren't already there waiting. I built power seats for my '92 and '96, and in both cases I took the wiring up into the console. I found the plugs in both vehicles, and since I had the original harness pieces that came with the power bases, it simply was plug and play!

You will have to remove the panels, as previously stated, the screw for the sail panel is hidden. But, you must also access the wiring to make your mirrors operate, if the wires are even there. Best thing to do when getting power options is to go as far back into the harness as you can, getting wiring, clips, etc. Or, at least take a picture or make a quick sketch to see where you may be able to hook it up. At some point you can usually find a place to jump into the harness, if the wires aren't already there waiting. I built power seats for my '92 and '96, and in both cases I took the wiring up into the console. I found the plugs in both vehicles, and since I had the original harness pieces that came with the power bases, it simply was plug and play!

Ok thanks guys...guess I'll just suck it up and pull the panels...I know it's not hard just was trying to avoid it if possible!

I shouldn't need to "jump" into the harness since I already have power mirrors, they should just plug right in to the existing harness that the old ones are plugged into now!

Back