• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you guys have your flat towing brackets set-up?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find the best and safest way to flat tow a cherokee without dumping a boat load. I know theres some companys out there that make tow brackets specific for a cherokee but their like $500 and also very bulky. I'v also seen Tomkens set-up with the tow bar but cant say Im all that Impressed. I'v considered geting a universal towbar with the flat bumper brackets, then either having a custom bumper made or buying a front hitch...then bolting and welding the flat brackets to either. Think that will be strong enough? I know alot of CJ, TJ, YJ's do this but not sure whether this is acceptable for us. Just seeing what you actually did. Pictures would be great.

I have my towbar brackets as part of the bumper.
DSCF0012-1.jpg

and
DSCF0011.jpg

I have only had to use the bar twice but it worked as I had hoped. Once on the XJ pictured (15 miles, up to 55mph) and on an 85 (easier to swap bumpers than to get the carhauler out).
Definately go the bumper route.
HTH

Thanks thats what I had in mind, so are those basically tabs welded on the bumper directly? It doesnt really look like It's all the way through and braced. Just making sure that method is sturdy enough for pulling?

Just the bumper itself it braced, not the tabs. The bar is more for emergency/short distance towing than anything else. I was having a run of bad luck for a while and got really sick of having to drag out the flatbed for a 5-10 mile tow so when I had the bumper made (www.nates4x4.com) I went with the brackets vs. d-ring tabs.

Any reason d-ring tabs on the front bumper would not work with a tow-bar designed to attach to tmem?

Back