• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line question for lift

DrinkBeer

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if instead of purchasing longer brake lines in the front after my 4" lift, if I could just disconnect the line from the bracket on the inside of the wheel well? It seems as if that would be enough extra length, and I can't see any ill effects occuring because of it.

Has anyone done this with success? Is it a viable method for lenghtening the front brake lines?

Thanks.

usually disconnecting it, straightening it out, and drilling a new hole to remount it works well. do NOT simply remove the bolt and drive it around. It may be fine for awhile but vibration and movement will eventually wear a hole in the line, or cause stress cracks at the fittings.

you should be fine for awhile, just don't pull it down so tight that it pinches or tears the grommet where it passes through the inner fender well. at 4" of lift I was fine, but at full articulation with one wheel in the air my shocks became the limiting factor, and my brake lines were about 1/2" from being pulled taut.

you could also purchase late 90s chevy pickup 2wd front brake lines, they have the same fittings and are about 25" long (96-98 i believe, but check the ends and length against a stock XJ line to be sure, its been awhile since I looked them up).

Last edited:
the YJ rear hose will also work well. at 4" you will be at about the limits of the stock rear hose. but i would not run a junkyard brake hose. personal preference, but the hoses degrade over time - even more so if they sit unused.

junkyard brake lines are asking for trouble, new oem ones are like $20-30 bucks... not worth the risk.

im at about 4", stock front brake lines. with the modifications mentioned.

whatever you do, flex it out BEFORE you take it offroad, you dont want to ruin your brakes while miles from home... flex it out and make sure it wont banjo.

True story about the JY lines didnt think that one through but non the less YJ lines can be had cheap and will work for your application.

At 4" of lift I would spend the $30 and get longer YJ lines. Bend them into shape (the ones I had were close to the tire and I bent them away easily) and be done with it.

Back