• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box install tips/tricks

MT Mike

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and read through some threads for the past hour, with no luck. I'm in the middle of installing my new bumper and can not get all three bolts on the steering box to line up. Stock steering box with JCR steering spacer and JCR bumper brackets on my 89 4.0L. New OEM style bolts and washers. I can get any two of the three bolts in and started, but no matter what I try, I can not get the third bolt started. I have checked to make sure that all three bolts go through the bumper tie in plate and the spacer. Right now I have the top and "middle" bolt in and I can see the lower one (closest to the firewall) all the way through but can not get it lined up and started in the box itself. Steering shaft is still connected and the pitman arm is still connected. No signs of stripped threads on the box itself. No other bolts installed in the bumper bracket yet. Any tips or tricks?

I'll have to hit my local hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find something similar to that Joe. I did shine a flashlight through the hole and it appears to be unobstructed. Any other thoughts?

It can be a bitch sometimes. I would take out the other two and put in the lower one first just to check that it will actually fit or is one of the plates a little off. Sure that nothing fell behind there?

I actually had the lower one and the one closest to the firewall in first and could not get the upper one even close. So I pulled those two and started from the top down. I'm 99% sure I got all the chunks of the OEM aluminum spacer out, but I may pull the two bolts I have in the morning and use my blow gun on my compressor to make sure all the debris is out.

I would say try to line up the new plates individually and see if maybe one of them is not drilled properly. You said you bought new bolts, I guess you accounted for the stack of the bumper and steering spacer so they are long enough and all are the correct thread type, right?

New plates line up, bolts thread into the box with out either plate or spacer in place. New OEM style bolts are the exact same length that JCR sent with the kit (OEM style has the alignment shoulder at the beginning of the bolt). I tried JCR's bolts also with no luck. I guess I'll just start from square one tomorrow. Never thought the steering box would be such a pain in the ass (and back)!

Good evening Mike. You probably already tried this but I'll toss it out anyway. If you just get the two bolts started and leave the assembly kind of loose can it be shifted enough to line up the remaining hole. Let me know how you come out on this...I am looking at a set of JCR bumpers soon and will most likely be frustrated by same predicament. Still hoping to make it up your way later this summer.

Not sure what the problem is--it took me a while to get the 1st bolt going but once that was started the others followed quickly. Maybe you have the box angled and the bolt won't thread? Unbolt the drag link to eliminate pull, and then partially tighten 2 of the bolts to get the box pulled in flat against the frame rail, then muscle and push until the 3rd gets going. The pick joe suggested will help to get the hole lined up.

I have tried shifting the assembly around, it's just a giant pain in the ass to try and shift everything around with one hand and try and shove the bolt in with the other. My back is screaming bloody murder at me right now after laying underneath the Jeep for several hours trying to line everything up.

If all else fails, I'm going to unbolt the drag link tomorrow and try that route. The box seems to be pretty well lined up flat against the frame rail. I just had to walk away from it for the night and give my back a break.

Ouch Mike....been there done that. There is one other thing I have done that seems to help on cranky bolts. I have used the bench grinder to put a slight taper just at the very end of the bolt treads. I don't grind much just a little over a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch wide. On occasion this has allowed me to get the bolt started into the threads. If you do this you might want to chase the threads on the bolt afterwards to get rid of any burrs.

Ouch Mike....been there done that. There is one other thing I have done that seems to help on cranky bolts. I have used the bench grinder to put a slight taper just at the very end of the bolt treads. I don't grind much just a little over a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch wide. On occasion this has allowed me to get the bolt started into the threads. If you do this you might want to chase the threads on the bolt afterwards to get rid of any burrs.
A good suggestion in the abstract, but the correct bolts for this already have pointed ends, so they shouldn't need this treatment.

I think MT Mike just hasn't found the magic words yet. Many of them begin with "F" and are not generally printed in polite places. He will find that after the continual application of these magic words as he struggles and wiggles and removes excess skin from his extremities, the box will suddenly line up, the bolt will go in and he will then spend the rest of the day muttering to himself "why the **** didn't it do that before?"

With the OEM style bolts there is already an 1/8" shoulder before the threads to allow just what you are describing. They look like this:

xehliq.jpg

I'm fairly sure it's just a matter of getting the damn thing in just the right position to get all three bolts lined up and started, it's just a pain to do by myself.

A good suggestion in the abstract, but the correct bolts for this already have pointed ends, so they shouldn't need this treatment.

I think MT Mike just hasn't found the magic words yet. Many of them begin with "F" and are not generally printed in polite places. He will find that after the continual application of these magic words as he struggles and wiggles and removes excess skin from his extremities, the box will suddenly line up, the bolt will go in and he will then spend the rest of the day muttering to himself "why the **** didn't it do that before?"

I've tried a copious amount of F-bombs, along with a few other creative swear words. :gonnablow Like you said, just haven't found the right combo of cursing, blood, sweat, and frustration.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Well guess that was a shot in the dark that went nowhere. My usual combo of f-bombs and other words unassociated with PC lingo will be of little help as it sounds Mike has already been there. My only other suggestion is long sit in your favorite chair, a bottle or glass...your choice of adult beverage, and a nice dose of quiet time with maybe a back rub from the missus.

It can be a bitch sometimes. I would take out the other two and put in the lower one first just to check that it will actually fit or is one of the plates a little off. Sure that nothing fell behind there?

You nailed it. Tore everything back apart this am and pulled the steering box spacer out and compared it to the bumper tie in bracket. They lined up well enough that all bolts went through with no issue. Tried to put everything back together and had the same issue, I could only get two bolts in and threaded. Since my OEM steering spacer came out in pieces, I wasn't able to check JCR's spacer against the OEM one. Stopped by my local wrecking yard with a 12 pack and talked the owner (he lives right next door) into letting me go in there today. Got lucky and the first XJ I pulled the steering box off of, the spacer was in one piece. Took it home and what do you know? The spacing on the holes in JCR's spacer was off just enough that only two bolts would ever get through. Put in the OEM spacer and had the steering box and bumper tie in brackets installed in less than 20 minutes. Another half hour later, and I had my Stage 3 bumper installed.

Just so I'm clear, I am by no means bashing JCR. Their products are awesome, and so is there service. I'll be contacting JCR and asking them to swap steering spacers. It's not unheard of for custom made parts to be slightly off from time to time. No harm, no foul in my eyes.

Glad to hear it all fell into place. How is the back doing today? I'll make sure and check my stuff out before I get to deep into the f-bombs. I'm hoping to order my rear bumper next month, both if I can swing the budget.

Would opening up one or more of the holes in JCR spacer have got the job done? Not really oversize, maybe just one drill bit larger?

Glad to hear it all fell into place. How is the back doing today? I'll make sure and check my stuff out before I get to deep into the f-bombs. I'm hoping to order my rear bumper next month, both if I can swing the budget.

Back is better today. An hour in the hot tub with a few cold ones and 3 Advil before bed had me going good today.

Would opening up one or more of the holes in JCR spacer have got the job done? Not really oversize, maybe just one drill bit larger?

I actually tried that, but snapped the biggest bit I had trying to open it up. That's the point when I decided to use the OEM one I had. I've sent an email to JCR to see if they'll swap a good one with me. I'm sure they'll make it right.

What Joe said, but this is from the JCR bumper install Instructions-

Problems
Occasionally you will find a hole on your frame rail is slightly different than a hole in the bumper or tie-in
brackets. Many times this is very minor and easily solved. Line up all holes that fit and temporarily install those
bolts. Take a drill bit just bigger than the bolt size intended for the offending hole and run it through the tie-in
and the uni-frame.

This may apply to the spacer.

Back