• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a loud snapping

BGDG280

NAXJA Forum User
or clacking sound in My transfer case in 4wd only., it only makes the noise under a heavier throttle application or when I use the clutch more aggressively shifting from 1st to reverse.

The noise sounds like a chain slapping maybe as it takes up the slack, not sure, but its violent enough you can feel it when it happens.

This is a '91 5spd...stock parts.

probably has stretched out, especially if its still the original chain.

Is it popping out of 4wd, like a loud pop then you need to shift it back into 4wd? Is that what you mean or is it making this noise when your driving in 4wd? I would check you linkage first. An easy way to tell if it's the linkage or the t case is to go underneath and disconnect the linkage and manually shift it into 4wd and see if does it then, if it does then the t case is f**ed. I guess I don't need to ask if you checked to see if it has fluid in it right?

Last edited:
No its not popping out of 4wd, just makes the noise only when in 4wd and under pressure it seems.

Fluid was good when I bought it 2 mos ago, and no signs of leakage.

I'm guessing the chain is stretched and slapping around under a load.

Ok, I'm sure its the chain, so how do I know which case I have?

Its a 91 5spd and the pattern is 2wd-4hi-n-4lo

Also, the chain is 80 bux at carquest, and they have a full kit for 140, there was no specific info on the kit and whats in it. Anyone have any opinions on which way to go?

Back