• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Steering with low lift

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace my steering setup. I'm only running 2" of lift and 31's. I don't do any real hardcore off roading, no rock crawling. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm looking at the Rusty's Tie Rod kit for $275, but I've read a lot of negetive feedback on Rusty's products on here lately. It's a 2001, 4.0, AW4, NP231, HP30, 3.55 gears, open diff.

I'm looking to replace my steering setup. I'm only running 2" of lift and 31's. I don't do any real hardcore off roading, no rock crawling. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm looking at the Rusty's Tie Rod kit for $275, but I've read a lot of negetive feedback on Rusty's products on here lately. It's a 2001, 4.0, AW4, NP231, HP30, 3.55 gears, open diff.

For your use and height, I'd go with an OEM steering setup out of a ZJ (Grand Cherokee).

Its a bit beefier than the XJ one and pretty cheap, especially if you find one at a yard.

If you are going to spend that much you may aswell go with the currie HD steering setup. I run it and have zero complaints.

If you decide against that and want to go a cheaper route just grab a ZJ rod from the yard.

Either stock XJ or ZJ,no need for anything else.

Keep the stock steering if your only running 31 and a 2 inch lift. Its cheaper and easier to replace. I have been running stock steering for the last 5 years and just bent my draglink today. I am running 35's on a 5.5 inch lift, running lockers, and geared in my axles and transfer case.

For the money keep your stock steering, unless you lift your jeep and get bigger tires.

$50 Stock steering - easy to find

$300 Upgraded steering - difficult to find replacement parts

Great advice. You can buy all new parts on Ebay for about $100 shipped.

I run it myself, per the advice of Cal, who is a god amongst XJ people.

I have to replace the tie rod and all the ends due to damage in an accident. The Rusty's setup seemed like a good deal because it uses Moog tie rod ends. All Moog parts through Advance Auto cost just as much as the Rusty's.

Your not listening to the recommendations YOU asked for.
As YOU already stated,Rusty's sucks,plus that set-up will cause even more problems that you have now!

Go with Currie CurrectLync. I've bashed this pretty hard and never had a problem. The Currie unit is rebuild-able and spare/replacement parts are available from Currie.

Edit: I'm running 31's too but I'm going to 33 and I don't want to have to worry about tie-rod draglink...

I have to replace the tie rod and all the ends due to damage in an accident. The Rusty's setup seemed like a good deal because it uses Moog tie rod ends. All Moog parts through Advance Auto cost just as much as the Rusty's.

No its not a good deal and I would never run anything rustys that has to do with steering. You can get a ZJ rod for stupid cheap or look into an entire steering setup upgrade (not rustys).

I am listening to what people are recommending, I'm just looking for a full replacemant steering setup that will work with my lift and stock axle sway bar brackets. Something that is direct bolt on that will add some strength. I'd rather not piece together JY parts. I will look into the Currie kit. Thanks.

I am listening to what people are recommending, I'm just looking for a full replacemant steering setup that will work with my lift and stock axle sway bar brackets. Something that is direct bolt on that will add some strength. I'd rather not piece together JY parts. I will look into the Currie kit. Thanks.

Then buy a brand new ZJ setup.

Fwiw there's plenty of people running JY setups with no issues at all. I have been running the currie setup for a long time now and it's an excellent bolt on application.

V8 ZJ tie rod and new TRE's and call it a day. I am also at 2" w/31's and it fits perfectly and instead of being a hollow toothpick, its solid.

X-2, On the Currie setup.
You will have to have at least 2 or 3" of lift, and its not cheap, but it's stock steering on steroids.

If you just want a tie rod with TREs look at Iron Rock's

That too. My jeep had a ZJ setup when I bought it so I don't have to worry about it. I was going to get the IRO tie rod for the last Jeep. Wrecked it the day I was going to order it.

Back