• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now WHAT?!?! Help with my Heep please

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
HELP!

:doh: I'm so frustrated. I've been having cooling problems with a cracked bottle. So, yesterday I installed a brand new bottle, flushed the coolant, installed brand new coolant, parked on an incline and bled the system. I also replaced the wire loom that goes along valve cover. NOW IT RUNS TERRIBLE! Missing, low power and overheating more than ever before! :wow:

(Please no comments about switching to an open system.)

Here's the details on what I did for flushing. Installation of the bottle was no problem.

I unhooked the lower radiator hose from the radiator.
I unhooked the upper radiotor hose from the thermostat housing.
I unhooked both heater lines from the thermostat housing.

Then I ran the water hose into the top of the radiator and let run till clear. Then ran water into the bottom of the radiator and let run till clear.

Ran water through both heater hoses until they ran clear both ways.

I ran water through the thermostat housing and let it come out the bottom radiator hose until clear. I then went the other way until it ran clear.

Sounds good so far and I hooked everything back up.

Reinstalled everything and put about 2 gallons of coolant mix in. A little heavy on the coolant because I figure there was a little water.

Cranked and let it run a little. Parked on the hill and removed the water temp sensor and added more coolant until it ran out of the sensor hole. Buttoned it back up and then topped off the bottle again.

Next I replaced the wire loom that goes down beside the valve cover. The old one was gone.

When I was finished I noticed that I had a vacumn hose unhooked somewhere. It comes from the side of the throttle body and goes ??? . I couldn't figure it out and had to go.

Now the idle is very low and rough like it's missing. Also it's running hot again - even worse.I had to drive, but I kept an eye on it and didn't get it over 230 before I pulled off and let it cool off - adding water if it needed it. I added about 1 gallon today while I was out. I did notice that I don't see any coolant anymore in the bottle.

Could I have mixed the heater hoses up?

Where does this vacuumn hose go?

Please help.

Sounds like you knocked the vacuum line from the throttle body to the MAP sensor on the firewall loose.

Replace it, should run fine.

Ok, lets start over on the heating.

1. Use a commercial chemical flush, the kind you put in and drive for 500 miles with it.

2. When is it overheating? what is your fan setup?

3. Did you check/test for a blown headgasket--coolant in oil, oil in coolant, combustion gases in coolant, loss of compression in one or more cylinders?

4. Cooling system holds 12 quarts, and thats 3 gallons, and that means the gallon you added probably replaced air in the system.

5. Replace the pressure bottle cap with a Stant 10244, fits better, lower profile so it won't impact the hood when the pressure bottle expands, and it holds to a higher pressure so that raises the boiling point of the coolant.

6. Use a high quality thermostat like the Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree, it has a special valve for balancing engine temps.

7. Don't overfill the pressure bottle, only about 1/3 full--that expanding coolant has to have somewhere to go. Pascal's law.

I think you're right about the Map sensor. Seems to be doing better now.

I swapped the heater hoses and it seems to be running, better. After doing that I drove around, up and down hills, idled at stop signs and finally came home. It ran about 210 at the hottest when I did all that.

I let it idle in the driveway for about 10 mins and it creeped a little past 210, but much better. Still not perfect.

I'll bet I've added several gallons since I thought I had it full yesterday. It has to be going somewhere. I checked the oil and it's thick and dark. Normal for me. That's good news. I noticed the side of the engine is wet, even after idling 10 mins at 210. I'd think the block would be hot enough that wouldn't happen. Maybe I have a leaky head gasket, but it's coming out - not into the oil?

Let's see I need paint, headliner and possibly a rebuild for the engine. And, it's a stocker. :(

I hate to think of getting rid of it - but maybe I should cut my emotional tie. OR, spend a few grand and know what I have. AHHH!

Back