• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing motor... go 4.0 or 4.7?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know stroker post are everywhere, but I have a more specific question. Rod blew this week on my 4.0 on my 97 xj. I can get a 4.0 reman from ATK from gearhead engines for $1,619 including shipping after core returns. Or they have a 4.7 stroker for $1,125 more (I think it gets 60 more hp). They say its plug and play, no need to upgrade injectors, or anything else since I have a 97 its mass air. I already ordered a apn header. And already have bomb proof motor mounts.

I am leaning heavily toward the 4.7, but wanted some input from all of you. I need to decide in the next day or so, so that I can get it ordered.

I use this xj as my dd and off road about 6 times a year. I have a 3.5 lift with 32" tires, and 4.56 gears, and she has 147,000 miles appprox.

Also, I am open to any other ideas for reman engines. I do NOT want to build an engine myself, I don't know how, nor do I have the time... I am borrowing a ride till mine runs again.

Thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate your input!
Jason

I guess you need to decide if the extra $1,125 is justified to you for only 60 HP it sounds like a lot to me. I think my 4.0 has plenty of power but that's me. Do you feel that you need it, is the real question? And is it worth another $1,125 to you? I'm sure it would be nice but my pockets aren't that deep. You could do a tuner, high flow exhaust, bored throttle body and 5.0 injectors for much less and probably pull almost the same HP out of it.

Last edited:
If you have the money you'll love the power of the stroker. I'm actually surprised your 4.0 blew a rod at that low of a mileage. You might be rougher on engines than most. 4.0 last a long time in part because of the relatively lower compression. A stroker will increase the compression and not last as long. Plus they tend to run a little hotter so cooling upgrades will be necessary. The price difference to get a stroker seems a little high to me. You should be able to pick up a lower mileage 4.0 used for real cheap. You can have your engine stroked by a shop and end up cheaper than the 27xx they want (which you didn't specify if it included install or not). If it was me I'd get the engine that's in it stroked and all new guts in it. It'll be cheaper.

If you have the money you'll love the power of the stroker. I'm actually surprised your 4.0 blew a rod at that low of a mileage. You might be rougher on engines than most. 4.0 last a long time in part because of the relatively lower compression. A stroker will increase the compression and not last as long. Plus they tend to run a little hotter so cooling upgrades will be necessary. The price difference to get a stroker seems a little high to me. You should be able to pick up a lower mileage 4.0 used for real cheap. You can have your engine stroked by a shop and end up cheaper than the 27xx they want (which you didn't specify if it included install or not). If it was me I'd get the engine that's in it stroked and all new guts in it. It'll be cheaper.

Dont have time to have it built.

I have never had heating probs before, and dont want em. Is it common they run hotter?

How long is a stroker expected to live? I dont consider myself hard on engines, and change oil and filter every 2,900-3,000 miles.

"Mopar will also introduce a new 4.7-liter I-6 Stroker long block, a powerful
upgrade for the 4.0-liter I-6 made famous in Jeep vehicles built from
1991-2006. Because off-road enthusiasts appreciated the dependability and
performance of the previous 4.0-liter engine, Mopar developed a more powerful
engine that delivers an expected 265 hp and 290 lb.-ft of torque. The engine
will fit in any Jeep vehicle previously equipped with the 4.0-liter I-6
engine."

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20091029

I just don't want to order the 4.7 and then find myself in a big project of having to upgrade cooling, fuel injectors, etc.

Has anyone bought a 4.7 stroker and just put it in and drove it?

Anyone have any feedback on any atk reman's?

dude... they quoted you the stroker at $500 cheaper than the remaned 4.0. is there really any question? though i would personally request a parts list of what they use to build their motor. my stroker was built at somewhere between those two prices.

what are you doing with your old motor? can i have it?

EDIT: sorry, i didnt see that it said it cost over a grand MORE for the stroker. personally, i wouldnt bite the bullet on that one. like i said before, my stroker was built cheaper than your reman and it was noticable more power. 80-100 horses. i never got it dinoed though, wish i had.

but seriously... wheres your old motor going?

Last edited:
dude... they quoted you the stroker at $500 cheaper than the remaned 4.0. is there really any question? though i would personally request a parts list of what they use to build their motor. my stroker was built at somewhere between those two prices.

what are you doing with your old motor? can i have it?

EDIT: sorry, i didnt see that it said it cost over a grand MORE for the stroker. personally, i wouldnt bite the bullet on that one. like i said before, my stroker was built cheaper than your reman and it was noticable more power. 80-100 horses. i never got it dinoed though, wish i had.

but seriously... wheres your old motor going?

Old motor is going back to atk for the core.... $320.

I wouldnt bother with the stroker. With the 4.56's and 32's, you have plenty of get up and go as-is with a 4.0. you could use the extra $1000 in other places with some other fancy upgrades :D Yeah you could get away without doing all the extra add-ons for a stroker, but then youre not really getting the full potential of it anyways. Plus, then the rest of youre stock systems and parts are gunna be working/abused that much harder (think cooling and fuel injectors).

If I was in your shoes Id:

-buy the 4.0
-replace other stock engine bay parta as need and while easy to acces
-upgrade the cooling system with a nice radiator and fan setup
-get a lunchbox locker
-good air intake and rest of the exhaust (you said already got an APN)
-some more skids and protection
-drive and enjoy :thumbup:

I've read through the posts and I'm confused about how you're going to put the motor in. You realize a longblock includes no accessories (power steering, alternator, A/C, water pump, etc etc). Are you swapping all of that over yourself? Are you installing the motor yourself?

I've read through the posts and I'm confused about how you're going to put the motor in. You realize a longblock includes no accessories (power steering, alternator, A/C, water pump, etc etc). Are you swapping all of that over yourself? Are you installing the motor yourself?

Sorry, should of clarified that. I can put the motor in myself, but am crazy busy, and have a friend/mechanic that will do it for $200. And yes, I realize we are getting JUST a long block... only the engine and head. We plan on swapping over the valve cover, the oil pan, timing cover etc etc.

I do have the apn header and a 2.5 exhaust all the way back. other than that, just a panel K&N with stock box and a home brew snorkel to the cowl.

Anyone have a "crate" motor installed? Anyone with an ATK?

Also consider that with a stroker you will have to run premium fuel $$$.

That's a negative ghostrider.

on two counts actually. First, if done correctly, it can run on regular. Mine does, however I do run higher quality when the temps pick up, or if I am at a questionable station.

Second, Premium is on average $.20 more than regular. So on a 10gal fill up that means you spend a whole $2 more.

Back