• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax difference

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know the difference between the 17340 and the 17463?

The summit website says one is aluminized and one is stainless, but I'm not sure about that. Stainless systems are way more expensive.

The 17463 is listed 87-93 and the 17340 is listed 93-97. I think the only difference might be how the cat is mounted. It's slip on on my 96, but it's bolt on on my '91.

The two kits share no parts aside from clamps, per the Walker/Dynomax parts lists. The 17463 is listed as 87-92, while the 17340 is listed as 93-01. Different mufflers, pipes, cat-muffler adapters, and tailpipe hangers. Both are aluminized pipes/mufflers, but the 17340 has a stainless tip welded on. It also has a funky hanger that didn't work on a 95,96, or 00, but matched the OE hanger on my 97. It has a 2 bolt cat adapter that is only spec'ed for late 00/01s. The stainless tip is cocked to the right, and can interfere with lift springs/shackles.

Off the top of my head, that's all of the notable stuff. I like the 17340 system (I got mine during a promo for $50 off), although I've pretty much destroyed it now. It needs a little tweaking depending on the Jeep, but for the money, it's decent. The pipe alone retails for more than the system costs after the rebates.

That's what I'm getting at.

It's not renix/HO, the years overlap. What changes are there that makes them different?

I know the 96 is really a pre-97 most ways. I'm wondering if I can use the $110 system and save myself 50 bucks. I'm not concerned about making it fit.

I'm thinking about just picking up a tailpipe and some random pieces to put something together myself because i'm a cheapskate.

If it helps I installed the 17463 on my 95 with no issues. It came with a reducer to slip onto the cat, I didn't use it because I have a custom downpipe. Buy a dynomax system they have a $75 rebate! There is a thread on it in the Street/Performance section. :)

I'd suggest going for the cheaper kit. Looking at the muffler part numbers, the 17463's listed muffler is 2.5" in/out, compared to the 2.25" in/out on the 17340. Should be pretty much bolt-on, and no clearance issues with the tip.

I think the 17340 is more expensive because of the SS tip, funky adapter ($38!), and hanger ($15), none of which would be of any real benefit on your Heeps.

I have no clue why they broke the years up like that- depending on where you look, the sellers list different years/engines for each kit, and AFAIK, you could put either system on any XJ with nothing more than a different slip-fit reducer and hanger. Maybe they were basing their compatibility off of bad info to start with- hard to say, but I wondered about that too.

Think next time I'll probably order a mandrel bent SS piece and get a Magnaflo or something. I'm not a big fan of repeatedly changing exhaust parts, but the salt around here plays hell with them.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mandrel-Bend...0QQ_sidZ388095533?_nkw=cherokee&submit=Search
Grab a Magnaflo or whatever stainless muffler with the correct inlet/outlet offset and diameter, couple of SS band clamps, and you've got full stainless catback for $200 and change.

Last edited:
Back