• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding spacers to a 3.5" RE need some help please!

Choppafella

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys, I have a few questions here for ya'. Well I'm going to be adding 2" spacers to the front of my jeep, and I'm gonna be getting either Shackles for the rear or just order new Springs. Either way I'm looking to add 2" total to make it 5.5".

So here are my concerns:

1.) Am I going to have to get new shocks asap, or will they be fine for a few weeks after I add the 2 inches?

2.) I already have a transfer case lowering kit, so which SYE should I get for it? or would I be okay without one for now and just keeping it where it is?

3.) Control arms.... Will the control arms I currently have prove to be a problem with a little more height?

4.) After the extra lift, I'll be adding 33's, What size gears should I look into getting?

I'd really appreciate the help guys, Thanks a lot for everything!

Choppafella said:
1.) Am I going to have to get new shocks asap, or will they be fine for a few weeks after I add the 2 inches?

They should be fine until you get some new ones.

2.) I already have a transfer case lowering kit, so which SYE should I get for it? or would I be okay without one for now and just keeping it where it is?

PORC sells a cheap SYE kit. You could do an RE hack n tap also. When the SYE is in , you can remove the TC lowering blocks. It all depends on if you get vibes or not, if you can leave the TC drop in, without no SYE.

3.) Control arms.... Will the control arms I currently have prove to be a problem with a little more height?

Aftermarket control arms or stock? Fixed or adjustable?

4.) After the extra lift, I'll be adding 33's, What size gears should I look into getting?

What kind of tranny do you have? What terrian do you run? Rocks, mud, hills, mall? A good starting point for 33's IMO is 4.56 gears, for either tranny. I like really low gearing, especially with a stick. Wish I had 4.88's or lower even with the 31's at times.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what kind of tranny I have. I don't know how many spline or anything like that but I can figure that out later, For now its an 89' Limited 4.0L, I think they offered two different trannies for it though.

For the tires I'm gonna be running in mud a small mud pit (every now and again) Um basically its gonna be just general off road use. I'm buying A/T's just Because i love em. I hit the dunes a lot, and do a lot of hills, I take it out to the desert and do some rocks also. Basically everything but for the most part, its gonna be in sand alot.

The control arms are Rubicon Express arms that came with the 3.5" lift, they're fixed.

as of now, there are NO vibrations and the TC lowering blocks aren't even on, so I'm going to add them when I add the spacers. If I need a SYE i'll buy one.

Any other problems I should be gearing up for?

You will need to switch out the fixed LCA's for Adjustable Upper and Lowers. Your pinion angle in the front will be pretty bad if you leave the arms the way they are. You are also going to be sacrificing some ride qaultiy staying with short arms at 5.5".

I also recomend 4:56 gears with 33's. If you are going to re-gear might as well go with something that you won't need to modify for a while.

I also recomend getting the Advanced Adapters SYE. You will need to know what type of T-case you have though.

Before I throw in my 2 cents, you do know 33s fit great on an XJ with trimmed fenders and the RE 3.5", right?

Anyways

No you keep your fixed lowers, but you'll need/want to add adj. UCAs and then you'll be fine. Only thing is its going to ride like craaaap so get Drop brackets and braces also. This is why when people ask what lift I ask what are there plans, I bet you could have saved coin just going RE 5.5". Then again RE 5.5" means 35s+ to me.

4.56s are fine with 33s.

ZachMan said:
Before I throw in my 2 cents, you do know 33s fit great on an XJ with trimmed fenders and the RE 3.5", right?

Anyways

No you keep your fixed lowers, but you'll need/want to add adj. UCAs and then you'll be fine. Only thing is its going to ride like craaaap so get Drop brackets and braces also. This is why when people ask what lift I ask what are there plans, I bet you could have saved coin just going RE 5.5". Then again RE 5.5" means 35s+ to me.

4.56s are fine with 33s.

That was my next question, I was thinking about just going out and getting the whole RE 5.5". but i dunno. So for the rear what would you recommend getting? should I buy shackles, spacers, or just order new 5.5" springs from the site?

Back