• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone running front leafs?

Dude nice! I like...

Looks like it flexs good.
I did my long arm and I'm sure most flex more... But now I'm looking in to more bump stops and straps... So it's like ... What's the point?

I should have done leafs too.

Should have done a shackle reversal when building it....IMHO...

a shackle reversal is a lot harder than it seems on a cherokee. i wanted to keep it simple. it seems to do just fine how it is so i wont mess with it

-PJ-

is it just the pic or is the front axle much wider then the rear?

you are correct. the front measures 84" from outside of tire to outside of tire and the rear measures 80"

I like how simple you kept this build. What leafs did you use in the rear to match the from waggy leafs?

i stayed with my RE 4.5" leafs with an addaleaf and 1.5" shackle

...Why? Can someone please explain to me why you would want to run leaves instead of coils in the front? I have been to JV, Moab, nearly everywhere in WA and a few places in OR and just don't understand it.

-Alex

...Why? Can someone please explain to me why you would want to run leaves instead of coils in the front? I have been to JV, Moab, nearly everywhere in WA and a few places in OR and just don't understand it.

-Alex

My guess is simplicity.

I would never do this, but hey it was super simple.

-Alex

You get a 3 or 4 link and it flexs to much, then you need more bump stops and straps...

When have you seen limiting straps on leafs?

Look at the pic of him flexing, when do you need more? And it actully helped?

Looks alot cheaper to!!! Not everyone has 1,400 bucks to dump in to there jeep.( most payed less for there jeep)

-Alex

think of the cost and time involved in setting up your average long arm kit... especially on a D44 or D60...

it would be mush easier to just weld on some new perches IMO. Set it and forget it !

:wave:

think of the cost and time involved in setting up your average long arm kit... especially on a D44 or D60...

it would be mush easier to just weld on some new perches IMO. Set it and forget it !

:wave:

Easier, perhaps, but how many comp guys do you see running leafs now? Simple isn't always better.

-Alex

I didnt say it was better... just cheaper, and easier.

icon10.gif

You get a 3 or 4 link and it flexs to much, then you need more bump stops and straps...

When have you seen limiting straps on leafs?

Look at the pic of him flexing, when do you need more? And it actully helped?

Looks alot cheaper to!!! Not everyone has 1,400 bucks to dump in to there jeep.( most payed less for there jeep)

I have seen limiting straps on leafs in colorado. You still have to bump stop them. Still makes no since then $$ to build front leafs. Sounds like many wheeling areas will soon have a axle width limit and Im sure hes over that. Last I heard they are talking about 79"wms limit for Reiter.

Rode in a buddy of mine that did this to his XJ in colorado. Rode very very rough. Eventually created the worst axle wrap I ever saw. Year later he ripped it all out and linked it front and rear.

I have seen limiting straps on leafs in colorado. You still have to bump stop them. Still makes no since then $$ to build front leafs. Sounds like many wheeling areas will soon have a axle width limit and Im sure hes over that.

Rode in a buddy of mine that did this to his XJ in colorado. Rode very very rough. Eventually created the worst axle wrap I ever saw. Year later he ripped it all out and linked it front and rear.

I think it all comes down to what type of wheeling, and what your budget is. Now that the rear is done I am looking at a front 44 swap. Leafs would make the entire thing SO much easier and quicker.

To the OP, nice job! Looks like a solid setup, and should work great for what you built it for. :thumbup:

Easier, perhaps, but how many comp guys do you see running leafs now? Simple isn't always better.

-Alex

Apples to oranges. There's no comparison between a weekend trail rig and a competition buggy.
I think it all comes down to what type of wheeling, and what your budget is.

X2, I see nothing wrong with a properly built leaf spring setup. Yes, it is kinda reverse engineering, but leafs are a tried and proven setup on the trail.

Ba-Riedo said:

-Alex

Apples to oranges. There's no comparison between a weekend trail rig and a competition buggy.

x2

Back