• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracks... A pillar & raingutter.

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Whos experienced these cracks..? I got one on the drivers side A pillar an inch or so back from the leading edge of the rain gutter on the underside right where the top & pillar meet. Then at the rear drivers side where the gutter ends. Any ideas on how to stop/fix these? Stiffeners ? Autobody shop? Time for a cage....
This is on a clean 96 with a 4.5" lift........... I guess I shouldn't of washed it...
Thanks All....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Yup...my 90 is the same way. I filled mine with seam sealer just to keep the water from gettin in. I'm just gonna wait till it gets so bad that I gotta make into a convertible :) But yeah, a cage is undoubtedly the best way to stiffen it to prevent the cracking.

Remi:

STOP ! Put down the hose !!
Thanks roX !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

actually now might be the time to wash it.... it's dark and by the time it's light again it might get dirtied enough to hide the cracks :)

Those cracks might just be the seam sealer which in the earlier XJs was used most liberally to cover 3/4" gaps oh my! Supposedly the 97+ XJs have higher tolerance control and so they do not have these wonderful canyons. But the body does crack too, so it might just be both.....cage time.

The Germans, being very critical of the excellence of their engineering and manufacturing, test their cars to see how well the seals are working by leaving a cat in the car over night. If the cat is dead the next morning they know they built a great car if not back to the drawing board. Not to be outdone, the Americans tried the same thing with thier fine automobile (I suspect an XJ). In went the cat, windows were rolled up tight, doors were locked shut. The next morning much to their amazement they found the cat outside the vehicle sitting on the hood........:)

XJguy

XJguy said:
Those cracks might just be the seam sealer which in the earlier XJs was used most liberally to cover 3/4" gaps oh my! Supposedly the 97+ XJs have higher tolerance control and so they do not have these wonderful canyons. But the body does crack too, so it might just be both.....cage time.

The Germans, being very critical of the excellence of their engineering and manufacturing, test their cars to see how well the seals are working by leaving a cat in the car over night. If the cat is dead the next morning they know they built a great car if not back to the drawing board. Not to be outdone, the Americans tried the same thing with thier fine automobile (I suspect an XJ). In went the cat, windows were rolled up tight, doors were locked shut. The next morning much to their amazement they found the cat outside the vehicle sitting on the hood........:)

XJguy

:D :laugh:

Back