• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle U joint upgrade

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK so i have searched and no luck on a for sure answer. I know you can upgrade from 297 to 760's. But no real answer that i can find about 260's to 760's. My 91 has the little 260's. Do i need to find axles out of a 96+ that have 297's to upgrade? Or will my axles accept the 760's?

I've seen a lot of mention of going from the 260 to the 297's, but does someone have a link to upgrading the 297's to the 760's? I have only recently heard of doing it but haven't seen much info on it.

Thanks.

there is no modification required to go from 297's to 760's.

and you can get 297 equipped shafts from ANY year XJ with ABS, any 95+ XJ, or older ZJ's that came with u-joints.

Well i started looking for a locker for my D30 and soon realized it would only cause me problems if i didn't at least have axles with 297's. Thanks for the help.

If it's a disconnect axle, you're pretty-much SOL... unless you convert it to a solid shaft. I've heard that a 95 YJ is the only year with a disconnect AND 297 U-joints. I actually found one at the junkyard, and it looks like it will work... BUT, I'm not running that shaft, so I don't know for sure if there are other issues. The only noticable difference (besides the larger joint) is that there's no bearing inside the end of the shaft, where the other shaft rides... Don't know if that's a problem or not.

Back