• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes locking and not releasing

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I know how somtimes when its wet some people find there brakes locking up but when i brake a little harder then usual my rear brakes lock up to the point it feels like i am draging the rear tires behind me. Even after i go again (stop light) my brakes still stay lock then "Bang" The brakes release again.

Any ideas.

i would think it may be the adjuster in the rear. i would remove the adjuster (you may have to remove some brake components first). unscrew the unit to two pieces. clean thoughly with brake cleaner and if needed a wire brush. relube with HIGHTEMP grease and reassemble/reinstall.

in a safe place, attempt to auto adjust the brakes. to do so make a series of stops while in reverse. i would try about a dozen. and see if that helps. if not then try to manualy adjust the brake adjuster.

i know on my Dodge Ram, the self adjuster was gummed up and frozen from road grime, corrosion and bad, dried up grease. i cleaned it like described above, regreased and all was well and they still work great 4 months later.

hth
stewie

Wow u guys are fast. I tried driving in reverse and hitting the brakes pretty hard in hope that they will adjust but they still locked up bad and then when i went forward the bang then normal.

was it the brakes that went bang or the drive shaft. i ask cause i had a bad u joint before that i thought was a brake issue at first.

stewie said:
was it the brakes that went bang or the drive shaft. i ask cause i had a bad u joint before that i thought was a brake issue at first.

Sure its the brakes. I had a buddy watch the drums after braking and he said they stuck for a second while i was driving forward then released.

KarlVP said:
You could try pulling the drum off, unleash the fury with some brake parts cleaner, then put it back on and see what happens.

i like the way you think. the simplist thing first. i need to think more like you!

Weak return springs? A build up of junk on the shoes, possibly brake fluid. A build up on the shoes (or a drum full of junk) can cause the shoes to wedge a bit and/or grab and hang.
Might also be sticky adjusters, they tighten when you brake in reverse and are designed not to over tighten, so you have a little clearance. If the shoes are constantly rubbing, the shoes and drums get hot (sometimes really hot).
Best hunch is the shoes are soaked with brake fluid or gear oil and have collected a bunch of shoe dust and other junk.
If you use the parking brake and the cable is sticking, the cable sometimes releases after you brake a time or two, with a bang.

Back