• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long can I go with no front shaft?

rehberg79

NAXJA Forum User
I've just installed my rear axle with 4.56 gears. My front still has the 3.55's so I pulled the front shaft. Something has come up witch is going to put be behind with my plans to do the front. How long can I safely drive with no front D.S? Will I cause any harm to the 231 T.C?

TIA, Mat

Glad to hear, thanks. :thumbup:

Should?.?. I think I would just pull the shaft to be safe.

Yeah... no rocket science to it, pull the shaft and it'll be fine. Just remember you won't have 4wd :looney:

Or leave the shaft and just rememebr not to use the 4wd.

You could put a note on the t-case handle if you really think you might somehow forget... :dunno:

Robert

Or leave the shaft and just rememebr not to use the 4wd.

You could put a note on the t-case handle if you really think you might somehow forget... :dunno:

Robert
I think that is a terrible idea. Just take the front shaft out.
Put some tape aroung the u-joint caps to keep them from falling appart.

I think that is a terrible idea. Just take the front shaft out.
Put some tape aroung the u-joint caps to keep them from falling appart.

That's not a terrible idea by any means. The only reason the guy would need to remove the front shaft is if he's an idiot and forgot that his axle gear ratios are different. If he plans on having other people drive it besides himself, I might say it's not a bad idea to remove it, but that's the only reason I can think of.

I guess this is kind of a silly thing to be so opinionated about seeing as how either option has the same result: a front axle that is just along for the ride with or without a driveshaft.

Back