• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

200,000 mile maintenance?

burkemx

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ with the 4.0, AX-15, 2wd with a ChryCO 8.25 just turned over 200,000 miles. It is time for a full tuneup. where do i start? does someone have a list that i can go by?

Thanks!

At the front, and don't stop till you get to the back. I would check everything and replace anything that even looks like it MIGHT be getting ready fail. It wont be a weekend Job, so if it is a DD take that into consideration.

^ X2. LCA and UCA bushings, serpentine belt (if cracked more than 4 times per inch or once all the way across at any point), shock absorbers, transmission mount, engine mounts, all fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, diffs, brake, power steering), grease all points (upper balljoints, U-joints on driveshaft if equipped with grease zerks), air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, wiper blades if leaving streaks. Check all brake lines, fuel return line, transmission cooler lines, power steering lines, and suspension parts for significant rust but I think you'll be OK in TX. Check brake hardware for wear. Consider replacing your O2 sensors if your average gas mileage is below 16, and your thermostat if the engine never reaches proper operating temperature of 200-215 degrees (use a quality dealership or Stant thermostat.)

Fuel filter could be troublesome to do on a 97 - check your fuel pressure and if it's within spec, leave it alone.

Check your harmonic balancer and make sure it's not worn out.

A routine check of the vehicle at oil changes or even on twice a year basis would reveal anything needed. Just because it hit "200K" doesn't mean it is in need of EVERY fluid to be flushed and replaced. If they are due to be changed then do it. If something looks like its about to be trouble replace it. Don't invest too too much in it considering the age and mileage. Hey, if NOTHING has ever been done to it then fluids should really be changed and whatnot but in most cases the systems have had a failure at sometime leading to replacing fluid. I have an '89 that isn't even at 175k yet and I KNOW that doesn't have original fluis in it yet heh heh.

A routine check of the vehicle at oil changes or even on twice a year basis would reveal anything needed. Just because it hit "200K" doesn't mean it is in need of EVERY fluid to be flushed and replaced. If they are due to be changed then do it. If something looks like its about to be trouble replace it. Don't invest too too much in it considering the age and mileage. Hey, if NOTHING has ever been done to it then fluids should really be changed and whatnot but in most cases the systems have had a failure at sometime leading to replacing fluid. I have an '89 that isn't even at 175k yet and I KNOW that doesn't have original fluis in it yet heh heh.

Good advice. This isn't a Toyota forum. They are maintenance freaks, wether or not it is needed.

Mine '98 has 235K on it and I recently took an inventory of all rubber bushings and bought them from DPG offroad (I think he uses crown auto parts). Some new shocks and bushing and it handles like new. Just listen to it everyday and it'll tell you what it needs.

Difficult for us to accurately comment unless we know the exact maintenance history of your Jeep.

A basic ignition tuneup consists of plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

But be sure ALL FLUIDS are fresh as they are the lifeblood of your XJ.

Hoses, thermostat, etc, etc all come into play.

thanks for the advice guys, sorry i didnt post up more info i was kind of in a rush. I am the second owner of the jeep, it had been taken care of. I dont have all the service records of the jeep(i bought it from my cousin, who bought it new in 96) but i know it has had coolant flushes(I did one about 10k miles ago) oil changes every 3000-4000 miles, I just changed the Manual tranny and rear end oil with mopar ax15 and 80-140? synthetic(i dont remember off the top of my head). i have put a serpentine belt and two alternators in it, it has had a brake caliper replaced due to a major leak right before i bought it so the brake fluid has been changed and flushed i believe, and i did an ignition tuneup(cap plugs and rotor) about 10 thousand miles ago, and it has had a brake job about four thousand miles ago. Power steering pump about 20k miles ago. The jeep also has the original clutch in it. the Catalytic converter has a little rattle, so that needs to be replaced, anyone know the cat inlet/outlet diameters?

Does anyone have a list of all the bushings for the suspension that needs to be replaced? I know they are starting to deteriorate...

BTW, the jeep gets 19-21 mpg (21 when all highway) so i know the motors running excellent, im just trying to keep her in tip top shape!

Thanks for the help everybody!

I used the Quadratec site and picked what I wanted from the diagram. Save yourself some greif and buy the whole new control arms with bushings. Saves time and frustration of pressing out the busing in your old control arms. Can be done if you are cheap, but it is a headache. Your local auto parts store may have these peices at similar prices, check them out before ordering online. I ended up getting half of the parts from DPG offroad and half from the local autozone. Even with buying the whole control arms, it was only a couple hundred bucks.

http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_oem_replacement_parts/suspension/Cherokee_XJ_suspension.php

I also replaced my catalytic converter from summit racing. Along with a dynomax catback system ($75 rebate right now). New vehicle specific cat, performance cat-back exhaust with nice tip, all for about $225.

Parts are cheap for these Jeeps, run her to a million miles.

I agree with those who have stated that maintenance procedures should be no different at 200k than they were at 100k miles. Keep changing your fluids at your usual intervals, and continue inspecting joints / belts / bushings as you normally would.

P.S. - Welcome to the 200k club :)

Back