• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why all the hate?

spjeep4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Are IRO lifts really that bad? I just installed their 6.5" LA system on my '98 Classic. I haven't had a chance to use it offroad yet due to lack of time and good places. I picked it because it seemed like a decent manufacturer and was in my price range. Just wondering if I made a mistake and should look at some new options.

Their long arm adjuster seems like a bad design. 1 10mm bolt to hold the axle seems too weak. I have no experience with this though.

I've never heard anything bad about IRO lifts. Considering the fact that you've never even used it why would you be thinking of changing it. yeah you might find you want to tweak it, true for any lift, but wholesale change? not unless you want to go higher or lower, IMO.

I have bought small things from them, they have great customer service..

My brother inlaw bought almost $3000 worth of lift/other parts, No regrets
The long arm system is DIFFERENT.. but i have seen it in action and would order one. but im a RC fan and I like RC's kit/price more..

for my XJ its RC for my ZJ its IRO

IRO gets a lot of crap about their UCA mount/adjuster setup. It just looks like it's weak and subject to failure. However for all the crap people give their design I have yet to see someone post about it actually failing. Generally, reviews from people who run their long arms seem to be pretty good.

I was just curious. I had seen several posts from guys who seemed to not like it at all. I really like it so far, although I haven't wheeled it. Another reason for that is I really want to make sure I have everything in good working order before I go play. I'm just really cautious.

Im thinking most of the haters are people who havent run the kit. I have no experience with any IRO parts but Im not against buying them. Id like to see their longarms perform in person, maybe Ill find a rig with them this weekend up at the comps.

Is there any binding in their kit that a standard 3 link doesnt have?

Bottom line, 95% of the people who run it, love it.

I've called them a bunch of times, and they have assured me that it's safe, and they all run it, and DD that kit.

People have the right to bash it, but most people base everything off the pictures.

IRO took a radius arm setup and made it worse. i already dont like radius arms for the binding/load issues and these just add more binding factors into the equation. Oh hey, lets weld the UCA to the LCA. why we're at it, lets just only run a single upper and let a stock UCA bushing and bolt try to withstand all the axle wrap. even if one may not experience all-out bind with their setup, its still gunna wanna eat thru all the axle side rubber bushings. the kit leaves alot of room for improvement and pretty much kills any thought of using a different axle other the a stock D30.

I can guarantee you would lose at least 75% of the haters out there just if IRO junked the stupid caster adjuster and simply used an UCA with a threaded joint attached to the lower like the other radius arm setups.

Personally, im a hater and have never used the setup and never will. i know for a fact i could destroy it. I dont know what Id run first, IRO longarms or Teraflex longarms .!.:D.!.

IRO took a radius arm setup and made it worse. i already dont like radius arms for the binding/load issues and these just add more binding factors into the equation. Oh hey, lets weld the UCA to the LCA. why we're at it, lets just only run a single upper and let a stock UCA bushing and bolt try to withstand all the axle wrap. even if one may not experience all-out bind with their setup, its still gunna wanna eat thru all the axle side rubber bushings. the kit leaves alot of room for improvement and pretty much kills any thought of using a different axle other the a stock D30.

I can guarantee you would lose at least 75% of the haters out there just if IRO junked the stupid caster adjuster and simply used an UCA with a threaded joint attached to the lower like the other radius arm setups.

Personally, im a hater and have never used the setup and never will. i know for a fact i could destroy it. I dont know what Id run first, IRO longarms or Teraflex longarms .!.:D.!.
There's a few people on here who have run the setup for a while now, a year or so, and have no complaints. They've never mentioned accelerated bushing wear, loss of flex or increase in binding.

I have no experience with their long arms or service, so I'm gonna keep quiet about that. My info is based on the reviews of people who've actually installed and wheeled this kit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a stock Ford radius arm setup, aren't the upper and lower "arms" either one piece, or welded together?

Also, to the OP: if you read enough bad reviews to make you nervous, you should've read even more good ones...

Last edited:
It is always like that when people come out with a new product. There is nothing wrong with their suspension kits. Like everyone said their adjuster on the upper link looks sketchy but I have not heard of a single person that had problems with it. Its funny so many people like rock krawler now, I remember all the bad mouthing they got when they first started building suspension systems. I have owned the rock krawlers 3 link, it was okay in my opinion. The frame end bushings wore out very quick, and the ground clearance on the mounts sucked. It did ride nice and flex great though, also their little heim joints "krawler joints" seem to last forever.

I just installed Iron Rocks 3 piece cross member to build my own 3 link off of, I really like it. I did lots of research before I bought and they came out on top and had the lowest cost.

I just talked to IRO.

They actually said they have never run into any issues.

And not a single warranty request.

I might just run it.

Except that the only people with anything bad to say about IRO are the ones doing based off, "Well, I think..."

People run d35s with huge tires and fight to the death over it "being just fine and never breaking" till something goes wrong and it blows up... then suddenly they're asking how to do an 8.25/44/8.8 swap. People saying "it is just fine and I wheel the piss out of my jeep" online don't persuade me much, that is, unless I know them and have seen them do so.

That being said, the fact that they haven't had a single warranty claim on it is promising. Means one of three things to me:
* works great, no problems
* mallcrawlers love IRO kits
* no one with an IRO kit wheels as hard as they claim they do

I'm definitely not a hardcore wheeler and I'll be the first to say it... but I like good tech and clean, strong fab work.

Back