• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA10 to AX15 Checklist

talentjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've read many threads. Looked at the diagrams. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I've missed anything. This is an '87 XJ Pioneer BA10 to a '94 Laredo AX-15 swap.

23 spline input gear for NP231
flywheel/flexplate for '87 (non H.O. 4L flexplate)
clutch kit for '94
OEM pilot bearing/sleeve 53009180AB (per http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388)
plans to rewire backup switch
AX-15 & shift column
AX-15 crossmember
tap/bolt relocation plans for crossmember mounts
trim metal to allow room for AX-15 shift column
tcase linkage from both '87 & '94 to hodgepodge w/ bracket relocation

All suggestions appreciated.

Looks like you have it pretty much covered. For the T-case linkage bracket you will be using the 94 version. If you compare the two the bracket for the BA-10 has the pivot in the middle of the bracket, where the later bracket will have the pivot all the way to the rear of the bracket.

As for filling the AX-15, I have heard people having success filling it through the shifter. I have always done mine with a funnel, clamp and long hose (think beer bong).

Also you will want to make sure you have the proper oil in the AX-15. I used redline MT-90, or MTL, whichever you can find. I also used a bottle of friction additive, shifts like a dream now, compared to when it still had gear oil in it from the PO.

Dont forget about the E-torx on the top of the bellhousing. I was able to get mine with the right size 6pt socket, but YMMV.

Good luck!

I fill mine through the shifter, it's much easier.
just pop the boot off, you'll see where the shifter goes in. TUrn the "upside down cup" counter clockwise (I think) about 1/4 turn after you push it down. It's got two hooks that engage posts, like a Dzuz fastener.
The whole thing pops out. No need to remove the shift tower, just the shifter itself. There's a stout spring in there, so take care not to have it pop.

You may want to get an AX-15 hose. NAPA can special order it. The BA-10/5 had a much longer clutch slave hose. My MJ ad been AX-15 swapped before I bouhgt it and they reused the BA10 hose, but it was way too long, and that likely contributed to it's failure.

Thanks for the advice.

I've got two sets of inverse torx (whatever they are called...I've seen many different names), enough extensions to reach the bolts and a gallon of PB.

I purchased an AX-15 pre-bled master/slave combo with integral hose...I'm hoping to adapt it to my clutch pedal.

I can certainly go through the shifter but since I had it sitting in the garage wouldn't it be easier to fill through one of the side holes? It looks like it has a fill & drain plug. I suppose it would be a bit heavier but I'm willing to wrangle it.

Back