• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 "average" lifespan?

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
I intend to buy a late model XJ after I return from an upcoming deployment in the Navy and am considering my options.

I like automatic transmissions on a DD and think it would serve me well for occasional wheeling as I wouldn't have to try to balance brakes, clutch, and gas pedals.

However, I was wondering about the expected lifespan of a AW-4 tranny? I have changed out clutches before, even rebuilt engines, but am just not up to the task of rebuilding a transmission and don't want to pay a shop to do it. About how many miles is the expected average life of a AW-4 before needing a rebuild, assuming normal use and maintenance? Should I consider a manual because it is (almost completely) serviceable by me?

Also, while on topic, are there recommended mods to the AW-14 for shift points, etc? Thanks in advance for your advice.

There are a lot of posts on NAXJA of very high mileage AW4s, and they are considered quite strong.

The big question is maintenance. If it has been properly maintained, seldom run at the outer limits of temperature, then it should be good for a long time.

Also, picking up used AW4s is not all that difficult or expensive.

If you can overhaul a manual transmission, then with an FSM in hand you could rebuild the AW4.

First, You and your shipmates BE SAFE and THANK YOU.

An unmodified well maintained AW4 can outlast your grandchildren. Start messing with it an it might not last to the end of your driveway. The tranny and motor will be the least of your concerns, if maintained.

Try to get one with a Cryco 8.25 rear, NOT D35, if possible. I would advise 1993 to 1999 models.

That said there are write-up about mods and changing shift points, Torque converter lockouts, first and second gear lock outs, all kinds of stuff. As JP says get a FSM for the rig and the Tranny everthing is DIY, with the right info and help.

Find a jeep club in your area, lots of help and companionship there. Sucks to be twenty miles out in the boonies with a broke jeep, by yourself. This I know from experience. My wife will never forgive me for making her hike 10 mile out of the Sierra Nevada mountains, because I got stuck in a tiny mud puddle.

Find a jeep club in your area, lots of help and companionship there. Sucks to be twenty miles out in the boonies with a broke jeep, by yourself. This I know from experience. My wife will never forgive me for making her hike 10 mile out of the Sierra Nevada mountains, because I got stuck in a tiny mud puddle.

Tell the whole story--you had her hike out and call a tow truck and get you a soda, and when she got back you gave her crap because she brought you a
DIET soda--right? :D

Day after buying my first ZJ, about 10 years ago, NOT first Jeep. It was completely stock and street tires. It has just rained, 2 days before. Anyway, said lets go see what this thing can do.... Took off on this dirt road in the Sequoia Nat. forrest, class 1-2 road, street cars can do it dry. Got to this "little puddle", you know 2 ruts about 15 feet long. Went through easy on the way into the hills. Thing is on the way back out decided to stop and take a Posser shot, in the puddle. Wouldn't you know it, the dam thing sunk down to OVER the top of the Pumkins. Not a good thing with slicks and open diffs. Anyway it was about 6pm and HOG hunting season. Not a good place to be, after dark with drunk morons who use dogs to hunt with instead of a rifle. Had to walk out 10 miles to get to a phone. Was stuck so good had a hard time pulling it out with lifted Chevy dually and huge winch. Not having any tow points, didn't make it any easier. She does remind me to go around that particular hole every time we use that road. No amount of flowers or jewlery seems to make her forget that night.

Hunted Los Padres NF, never drunk though.

While hunting or handling firearms, I meant.

Hunted Los Padres NF, never drunk though.

While hunting or handling firearms, I meant.

Know what you mean. Drunk is Ok for a barstool, but not much else.

I was reminded of a lot of wheeling rules that day. Considering the ONLY trail safety equiptment I had that day was the 9mm bug repelant. Haven't even gone to the corner store with out at least a hi-lift and a strap, since.

Day after buying my first ZJ, about 10 years ago, NOT first Jeep. It was completely stock and street tires. It has just rained, 2 days before. Anyway, said lets go see what this thing can do.... Took off on this dirt road in the Sequoia Nat. forrest, class 1-2 road, street cars can do it dry. Got to this "little puddle", you know 2 ruts about 15 feet long. Went through easy on the way into the hills. Thing is on the way back out decided to stop and take a Posser shot, in the puddle. Wouldn't you know it, the dam thing sunk down to OVER the top of the Pumkins. Not a good thing with slicks and open diffs. Anyway it was about 6pm and HOG hunting season. Not a good place to be, after dark with drunk morons who use dogs to hunt with instead of a rifle. Had to walk out 10 miles to get to a phone. Was stuck so good had a hard time pulling it out with lifted Chevy dually and huge winch. Not having any tow points, didn't make it any easier. She does remind me to go around that particular hole every time we use that road. No amount of flowers or jewlery seems to make her forget that night.

Good thing you got her to marry you before that stunt

Well thanks, that's encouraging. I think I'd likely try a salvage yard pull before a rebuild, maybe. All I've done in manuals is change the fluid and the clutch, really. As for auto, I rebuild a C-4 once... well, 3 times actually, and the third time it shifted right. :) That was in a 64 Fairlane, and I'd rather pull the engine and rebuild it than pull the tranny and rebuild. Just my preference. As for year, I was thinking 97-99. I like the 97+ body styler, but wanna have low pinions, so that settles it.

I would actually go with a ZJ and 4.0L/AW-4/231 for the rear coil setup, but just don't like the bodies as much. I like the boxy look of a XJ, so XJ it is.

I look forward to saving a little money over the coming months, along with tax returns, and getting a XJ project started. See you guys on the trails "soon".

I wanna get involved with the local jeep groups, but feel like a poser saying "I am going to buy a jeep one day". But maybe that'll be a good place to pick up a jeep already lifted, etc... then build more as I learn.

btw, thanks for sharing the story. entertaining, but not particularly encouraging for the wife.

I have a 93 ZJ sitting in the driveway that my brother inlaw toasted the AW4 in..

I picked up a VERY low mileage AW4 replacement tranny for $100 off of here. IMO.. while its not "easier" replacing a tranny every 100k at $100/ea it IS cheaper then a clutch.

But honestly, i know my aw4 has 310k+ and its just now starting to give me problems. that i really think are more related to the TCU.

Growing up in my Dad's shop in Pennsylvania there were oodles of XJ cherokees roaming around the urban jungle. I will say that we've seen some AW4s go a long way in our shop. Not uncommon to see close to 200K on them by the end of their lifespan. Lots of customers would let the transmission fluid go and go on them too.

Personally my backup driver (for when I can't ride my motorcycle) is my 1992. It is my favorite body style and I am very blessed with the NP242 and AW4 combo - it is a driver's delight on snow covered roads.

... IMO.. while its not "easier" replacing a tranny every 100k at $100/ea it IS cheaper than a clutch.
yeah, I can see how swapping would be easy at $100, but from a P&P it'd be hard to know what you were getting.
... It is my favorite body style and I am very blessed with the NP242 and AW4 combo...
I wish I could find that combo in a 97-99... and while I'm at it make it white with gray interior, RE 4.5 superflex, 33's, roofrack, full roll cage, BW flares, aftermarket bumpers, 10k Warn winch, etc... and cheap.

with proper maintenance and slight abuse paired with a good cooler the aw-4 is a bulletproof tranny that i have personally seen go to 450k with no trouble at all. they are a great tranny but they do require proper love and care to stay going strong for a very long time. the 242 case can and will save your a$$ when it comes to those slick and scary situations. i know mine saved my life quite a few times on the snowy rides to work with bald bfg's.

Last edited:
I've got one running strong at above 200k and another one that's crapping the bed at 139, though I ran stock gearing and 32s/33s with no tranny cooler on the latter one and I'm a fan of the skinny pedal. It was mistreated by its previous owner and was lurching and slipping a little tiny bit when I bought the jeep at 107k, my treatment only made it worse.

Keep the fluid changed, put a cooler on it, and regear to match your desired tire size and it'll last forever. And if it doesn't, a spare is less than 150 bucks like others said.

As you can see AW4 will last if cared for. I agree with you on the ZJ and why you prefer the XJ. same for me. While the ZJ is More comfortable, and MUCH bigger, The XJ is just Pure fun. The XJ is much more powerfull feeling, even compared to a ZJ V8. It's cheaper to lift. Yeah the ZJ will flex better, but I like that with the XJ, sometime you have to think about the line more. AW4 is much better than the trannys in the ZJ, except for 1993-1994 which had it available. ZJ had crappy D35 and D44A rears, XJ came with C8.25 and a Real D44 can be had.
Could go on all day.

yeah, I can see how swapping would be easy at $100, but from a P&P it'd be hard to know what you were getting.
I wish I could find that combo in a 97-99... .

They're out there. My 99 is a 4.0/AW4/NP242 set up..from factory.

Not white, but forest green with the dark grey interior.

NP242 is great for the winter roads we get around here.

I have an 87 in the drive with 336K miles on the original AW4.
I have no idea how well it was maintained, but I've never touched it.

Got a '92 with AW4, has 237,000 miles on it. Fresh fluid every year/30K miles or so since I've had it and it still shifts like brand new.

Only other thing I've ever had to do to it was change the pan, and that was because I dented it while wheeling.

I have about 230K on my aw4 now. Trans operates perfect still, nice firm shifts. I change the fluid and filter yearly. I don't beat on the jeep on the street. I also avoid excess wheelspin when I can but you can only do so much when your in the mud or snow.

AW4 combo with 242 is great. I have three. All have the tow package from the factory, which includes the tranny cooler in front of the condensor.
90 Laredo - 185K
92 Limited - 243K
98 Limited - 130K

It is hard to pick the favorite. My DD is the 98. My daughter uses the 90. The 92 is pretty beat up and I may sell it, but I love driving it too. Look for one with the Up Country kit. My 98 is one and rides the best.

Back