• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj dana 44 vent tube issues

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
I have a xj dana 44 with 4.88s and an arb for some reason the vent tube keeps spitting out diff fluid at the housing and from the end of the vent tube making a huge mess whenever I drive the jeep, is there a way to fix this? Larger tube? I tried hose clamping it but it almost seemed to make it worse. Thanks

did you grind a drainage slot in the differential housing? if so it may not be large enough. arb site should have a pdf file for directions on the slot.

did you grind a drainage slot in the differential housing? if so it may not be large enough. arb site should have a pdf file for directions on the slot.
X2, this is usually the fix for your problem.

I've had one diff place say it depended on the bearings. Some could act as a pump and push lube out the vent. The fix then was move the vent down the axle tube a few inches. If this applies at all, cool. I've had one truck do this, and did this fix and no more problems.

by the way this is when im driving on the road with the locker disengauged.

Have your tried blowing thru the vent tube to make sure that it isn't blocked?

Also ,which vent tube do you have -the plastic piece or the one thru the brake line block ?

If plastic-check to see if its broken/cracked-it not then pull it out and seal the hole.
The "hollow bolt" thru the brake block is better,but the hole must be tapped larger for it to fit and the excess part of the bolt(below the threads) must be cut off to reduce the chance of fluid being blown out.

Wayne

no its defintally not over flowing from too much fluid, i have the plactic vent tube, i think i might get it out and tap the housing and try and make it seal better

so i tapped out the hole and put a larger vent tube bung and hose, but it almost seems like it made the problem worse, its pushing oil out really bad and i can only drive about 100 miles befor eits just too low onfluid, any other suggestions, i really want to get this fixed, thanks

Did you ever check to confirm if the necessary drainage hole/notch was made when your locker was installed?

Having the same problem. This is what I have and what I have done so far. 87 model XJ 44 with 4.88 gears with 35 spline ARB and ARB diff cover. I notched the housing when first install everthing (amost 2 years ago), sealed original vent up and install newer one through the brake juction block. Also drained fluid and refilled, put a little under 2 quarts back in. Not blowing as much since fixing vent and refilling it but still getting some blowing back through the vent and also through the air line to the compressor.

Having the same problem. This is what I have and what I have done so far. 87 model XJ 44 with 4.88 gears with 35 spline ARB and ARB diff cover. I notched the housing when first install everthing (amost 2 years ago), sealed original vent up and install newer one through the brake juction block. Also drained fluid and refilled, put a little under 2 quarts back in. Not blowing as much since fixing vent and refilling it but still getting some blowing back through the vent and also through the air line to the compressor.

That sounds more like your ARB seals are leaking.

so i tapped out the hole and put a larger vent tube bung and hose, but it almost seems like it made the problem worse, its pushing oil out really bad and i can only drive about 100 miles befor eits just too low onfluid, any other suggestions, i really want to get this fixed, thanks
Of course more oil is coming out, it now has a larger hole to exit the axle from.
:doh:

i justr sent a message to the installer and waiting for a reply
You can't open the diff and check yourself, rather than take have someone try to remember something so long ago?

4 weeks later and you haven't checked up on the most likely cause?
X2

Back