• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 -> 4.0 swap nearly completed. Cluster does not work!

drewkeen

NAXJA Forum User
I started with a 1998 Cherokee 4.0 AW4 donor and swapped it into a 2000 Cherokee 2.5 AX5 that had a locked up engine. Before the swap the clusters in both worked fine. The engine now starts and runs great, but the instrument cluster is not happy. With the 2.5 cluster it said "no bus" in the odometer display. I had 2 4.0 Clusters (from a 98 and a 99) that I swapped in and they did not say no bus, but none of the gauges worked at all. I swapped both of the engine bay harnesses over, but left the stock wiring behind the dash. Any ideas?

So, as so much is dependent on the PCM in the later models--which PCM are you running? I'm guessing the 4.0 from the 98, a distributor system, into a 00 distributor-less system, so there is most likely some in-cabin wiring differences.

wow a real live (well, now its dead) 2000 4 banger cherokee, never seen one before!

and yeah what type of distributor system do you have...my dads 2000 tj 4 banger had a distributor, took them a while to update the 2.5L's.

I do not believe the 2.5 was DIS

i dont know how the whole 4 banger or 6 banger plays into it, but the late model clusters were 97-99 and 00-01 specific. Not all to sure about the differences, a couple of indicator lights in different spots. the late model ones are wierd and has a bunch of info that runs thru and loops to the cluster. dont forget, they all also have the crappy plug problem, could be as simple as a bad connection.

Had no idea they were model specific. Maybe I need to look for a 2000-2001 cluster to try out. I have another cluster, but it worked in a friend's 99 so I would assume that it is not the proper one. The stock 4 banger cluster gave me the "no bus" message and the others did not. None of the clusters displayed any information other than whether or not it was in 4wd and the mileage. The 2.5 and the 4.0 both have distributors. I also need to figure out why the reverse lights do not work, but the computer knows then it is in gear or park/neutral.

Yeah, it is probably a rare combo. It is a 2000 4 banger, 5 speed, 2wd, 2 door base model. Complete with manual windows and all. It also has bright red paint. The window sticker only shows a few options - one of which was the HD cooling system for some reason. It has a 2 core radiator where as the 98 with the 4x4, 4.0, auto only had a single core.

Had no idea they were model specific. Maybe I need to look for a 2000-2001 cluster to try out. I have another cluster, but it worked in a friend's 99 so I would assume that it is not the proper one. The stock 4 banger cluster gave me the "no bus" message and the others did not. None of the clusters displayed any information other than whether or not it was in 4wd and the mileage. The 2.5 and the 4.0 both have distributors. I also need to figure out why the reverse lights do not work, but the computer knows then it is in gear or park/neutral.

Yeah, it is probably a rare combo. It is a 2000 4 banger, 5 speed, 2wd, 2 door base model. Complete with manual windows and all. It also has bright red paint. The window sticker only shows a few options - one of which was the HD cooling system for some reason. It has a 2 core radiator where as the 98 with the 4x4, 4.0, auto only had a single core.
reverse light issue - did you fix up the NSS and everything when you threw the new trans in?

cluster issue - 2000 cluster is not engine specific but is fuel specific - 2.5/4.0 are both the same cluster, but diesels have a different cluster. You're fine on that. Same goes for the 1998. Wiring harness for the dash is also non engine specific. Engine harness is of course engine specific... but you swapped that. I'm honestly not sure what is causing your issue aside from maybe the connector at the back of the cluster. You should be using the 2000 cluster.

The 2000 cluster is an idiot light cluster so I would prefer the 1998 cluster if it is compatible. I will try to 2000 cluster again in just a bit and report back.

No idea really... sorry man :(

I have a 98 FSM set now though (bought for my new 98) so if you can find someone with a 2000 cluster, we can compare info.

None of the clusters are working? Even the one that was with the engine? I know there are differences in the early xj's with the tach but that would not make it not do anything.

The 98 4.0 cluster has a few things basically indicator lights like the hatch open light that work. The 2000 2.5 cluster just says no bus and has a check engine light.

Have you checked all the grounds such as the ones in the engine compartment (ie firewall, near PCM and engine block) and the ones under the dash panel.
Bad ground connections can cause a loss of signal for the instrument cluster and definitely check the Buss connectors behind the cluster for oxidation on the pins.

I checked the ones by the PCM and engine block several times. I checked the firewall one as well but can check it again.

Where are the ones under the dash panel located?

Back