• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Wiper linkage rebuild Question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Are the linkages rebuildable? My 90 has alot of slop in it mostly on the passenger side. The parts manual that I have does not show the plastic bushings, but they look like they could be removed and replaced. The manual only shows a complete linkage replacement.

Has any body else found the rebuild parts?

Most auto stores (Pep Boys, Advance, Auto Zone) have a line of products called "Help". You can get the plastic bushings there. Remember to warm them in hot water prior to installation and the job will be substantially easier.

Thanks for the HELP! No pun intended. I found them at Advance Auto in the HELP section. They are made by Motormite part #49445

Thanks "Lou" that link got me there.

My wiper woes will be done!

Jon

Motormite has changed the part # to 49447.

I decided to do a write up on the bushing replacement.

Here it is;
Allow about 1.5 hours to do this properly.

Tools needed: Philips head screw driver, Flat head screw driver, Assortment of small torx bits, #10 socket and wratchet, Small puller, vise, a large socket.

Remove the wiper arms by picking up on the arms and slidding out the clip and then pulling the arms off the splined shafts.

Remove the 8 screws from the cowl and roll the cowl forward to allow access to the washer hoses. Twist and the pull the hosses off.

Unplug the wireing harness.

Using a #10 socket to remove the bolt holding the wiper motor to the bracket.

Remove the 4 torx head screws from the drives.

You will have to slide and twist the assembly to allow it to come out.

I used a small puller that I beleive to be a wine/champaign cork remover but I have used this small puller for many jobs. Using the puller, remove the linkage from the bushing as shown. I suggest doing one at a time so the linkages can't get reversed or mixed up.
wiperrepair1gu8.jpg

Use a screw driver to pry the old bushing from the linkage as shown.

wiperrepair2gu5.jpg

Press the new bushing into the linkage using a vise and a large socket as shown.

wiperrepair3xj1.jpg

Using a small "c" clamp press the bushing/linkage onto to the linkage pivot as shown.

wiperrepair4av3.jpg

Make sure the bushings are pressed all the way down onto the pivot.

wiperrepair5ow1.jpg

Re-install the assembly back into the fresh air intake and bolt it back down. Make sure that the washer hoses and wireing harness are zip tied out of the way of any linkages.

Make sure everything works properly before the cowl and wiper arms are installed(do not forget to connect the washer hoses).

Good luck!

Back