• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing valve cover gasket anything else I should check???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so im planning on doing my valve cover gasket in the next couple days as it appears to be leaking a bit

Im wondering if there is anything else I should be doing/checking while I have the valve cover off?

thanks

Well, if I knew what year XJ...

Take a look at the CCV system, if a Renix you might want to mod the tubes, Cruiser54 posted the mod a while back.

sorry i forgot all the important info

95 XJ 4.0 346 kms

No mod necessary on a 95.

Trying to remember if you need to change the bolts depending on the gasket you use? One style gasket is for the bolts with the shoulders--thinking that is the cork style to prevent squeezing it too much, and the rubber gasket holes are too small for the shouldered bolts.

if you are using a cork gasket snug the bolts down them give em a 1/4 turn to seat em. if you crank em down super hard you'll split the gasket and it will leak all over the place. Cork actually seals better, but people complain about the cork gaskets all the time being prone to leaks. 90% of the time it is because they have been overtightened.

Back