• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Quick Disconnect Help

raskal

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, Im sure many have been down this route. Long story short i did get the Doorman 800-714. It has the threaded piece, a spacer and the clip, I put it together like this Hardline - plastic Spacer with ridge down, clip -> transmission, but it still popped out making a lovely mess on my driveway...what am I dong wrong?!:(

Did you hear it click in positively and check to make sure it latched? Can be hard to get them to seat. Normally I'd say to make sure everything is well coated in transmission fluid so the O-rings don't have as much friction but I think you have that covered for the second try... some twisting may help while inserting the line.

Is there supposed to be an o ring ON the hard line? Everything clicks in but the clip/spacer assembly is not being held on the hardline. If i take the spacer out, it latches on the flared part of the hardline, but then the assembly is too long.

There should be one or two O-rings inside the fitting, but I don't recall if there supposed to be any on the hardline. I put the clip into the fitting and made sure it clicked in, then pushed the fitting in while twisting and it clicked in also. If your clip has gotten all munged up, you can buy an assortment pack of clips at AutoZone in the Help section somewhere that contains one which is the right size.

Aren't those damn fittings so much fun? I think I might swap mine out for hose barbs and fuel injection hose clamps + some transmission hose next time I have to mess with them.

Ill try the twisting too. I HATE those lines. Bad design. since it has that werid thread ( m14x1.5) there was no fitting that went to a barb, i want to go to soft line also. I did find the Autometer 2267 which is a m14x1.5 to NPT 1/8, then get a 1/8 to 3/8 barb i suppose. I just dont see how that clip stays on the hardline.

So another forum stated there should be at least 1, preferably 2 o rings...but I still don't see how the clip can stay put on the hard line with that spacer....

What spacer are you talking about? There was no spacer on mine.. just the clip. The clip has inner tangs that grab the ridge on the hardline and outer tangs that grab a ridge on the inside of the fitting.

On both the stock one i pulled off and the dorman- 800-714 there is a spacer, its about...1/4" and has the same "ridge" as the hard line, right now I have it off with the clip right on the hard line but it seems like its too long now to clip in.

I should have taken a picture, but here is my best rendition.
spacer.jpg

When I pulled the stock one out. the plastic spacer was butted up against the hard line, the clip attached to that. But now, nothing is holding that spacer to the hard line and thats where im stuck.

Are you trying to assemble this on the line and then push it into the fitting? If you are ...don't. You need to put that stuff into the fitting and then click the line in. Should be oring,plastic spacer,oring ,lock thing.

Are you trying to assemble this on the line and then push it into the fitting? If you are ...don't. You need to put that stuff into the fitting and then click the line in. Should be oring,plastic spacer,oring ,lock thing.

that very well may be the issue. I was assembling the line with clip and trying to make it go in. I will pick up some o rings on my way home and give it a shot.

Thank you!

Travis

Well- for an 88 at least it was O ring on hard line. Clip in fitting -> hard line into clip ( no spacer) Nit sure if the stock spacer was different but it clicked right in and stayed it without it.

Back