• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Jeep Cherokee Video Posting

cdg123

NAXJA Forum User
This is more for people to see (video links at bottom). As some of you may be aware I recently came into a 1986 Jeep Cherokee and stuffed the motor from the wrecked '86 into a 1985 that I recovered with seized engine. This is a very rare beast. Yes it is gutless and still of questionable reliability and will probably take several thousand more dollars worth of my money. But it marks an interesting point in the history of the AMC era Jeeps and I like it for the "Gee wiz" factor. It will remain mostly stock and probably never really serve me for much more than an occasional joy ride to work and back.

The engine swap was performed in a field with little more than a basic set of Napa Evercraft hand tools. My best friend Cole provided me with the extra muscle I needed. His dad was able to lend the assistance of their crane truck when it came time to actually set the motor on its mounts. It was not as "bolt and go" as I expected and I still have a looong way to go before I can consider this project as anywhere close to done. It is doing well enough now though that I was able to drive it around the block once or twice and so far its behaving very very well. The main problem being the stock V6 axle ratio is too tall for the diesel to swing. First gear feels like second. If I did my calculations right I don't think I could feasibly use 5th gear. So I intend to find a 4.11 ring and pinion set. Seems that the pinion seal in the rear is leaking pretty bad anyway so when the axle comes apart it will probably get some new bearings and seals.

OK so here are the video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ud3UeMq9rA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0ITLy30z4

I apologize that the quality is not the best. My tripod seems to have sprouted legs and walked off.

Parts are not getting any easier to find but I am slowly getting what I need together. Enjoy the videos, feel free to comment. I am attempting to start a Yahoo owner's group for this diesel XJ.

That thing ROCKS! I know I'd find that unshshrouded fan with my knuckles. Only about half the displacement of what normally powers an XJ. I'll bet patience is a virtue while driving one of them.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have caught my knuckles on the fan once so far. It didn't tickle. I have a lead on a radiator that I can re core down the road so hopefully the duster radiator is only temporary. $300 worth of temporary but I digress....

It's a neat little engine really smooth. I love the sound. I'm thinking about leaving the straight pipe exhaust (running it straight back but leaving the muffler out of the system). It's really not too loud and it sounds like a little garbage truck.

It is slow - at least as bad as a 4 cylinder gas engine. I have hopes that it will be more drivable with lower gearing. Hill starts are just not possible right now. It can idle at almost 15 mph in first.

I can't wait to start digging into the chasis. It needs shocks badly. That chasis has nearly 300K on it.

Awesome! Glad you came through as you said you would.

Can't see the videos since I'm at work, but subscribed so I remember when I get home.

I also like that you're keeping it stock - stuff that rare, IMO, should be rebuilt to near-showroom quality and kept around instead of bouncing off rocks. Bouncing off rocks is fun too but something that should be done in a much more common vehicle!

Let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for any wacky/rare options or parts to restore it, though I don't find as much time to hit the junkyard these days as I did last fall.

Yeah it's a long long way till showroom condition. It's a lot of money and I am a man of many projects and little money. I am committed to the project though and am committed to as few overall modifications as possible although I am afraid some liberties will probably have to be taken in the areas of wiring, hose routing, and the 4x4 system.

Before anything else, I plan on having the injector pump rebuilt, all new fuel injectors installed, and a timing set installed and the ring and pinion set installed before actually driving this Jeep any kind of distance. A little rough math figures this to add up to easily another $2,000. This isn't my first rodeo but compared with the restoration costs of simple motorcycles, old CJs and Toyotas this is a pretty rude awakening.

Of historical note, I have the original window sticker for the 1986 diesel Jeep. It came from Diebels AMC/Jeep/Renault from right here in Flagstaff, Arizona. I have the original 1986 owner's manual and most if not all service records dating back to 1986. I plan to make scans to share of most of this information but for the moment have it all lovingly filed away.

Back