• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck Ujoints with pics

*Jonathan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok round two on the Ujoints. This time with pictures.
As you can see I cant get the cap out far enough because the yoke that holds the other set of the cross hits the cardan joint. I'm stuck guys any input. The cap isn't far out enough to effectively grab with vice grips or channel locks. I've tried pb blaster. Nada.

How is this normally done?
116817d1272408337-stuck-ujoints-img00019-20100427-1835.jpg
116818d1272408337-stuck-ujoints-img00020-20100427-1836.jpg

I thought that the cardan joint was replaced as a unit for this reason. I don't know past that. I replaced the whole thing because I fubared mine up when the ujoint let go.

Update, I got it all apart :)

I wound up tappin the inside of the ujoint that was just about out. I too a flat head and 4 taps was all it took. I would have taken the cardan joint off but i ran into the same type of problem where the joint cap wouldnt press out all the way. Harbor freight ujoint remover was a lifesaver. If anyone in the NNJ or Westchester NY area wants to borrow it, hit me up.

Jonathan

Pictures do not work. Rebuilding a DC is not hard at all. Press down on DC piece that holds the caps to the TC yoke, pull caps. Press other two caps out. Remove cross. Remove center, dont loose the spring. REmove second joint. REverse to assemble. AFter I looked at the image links I could see them. You ahve to remove the caps that go to the tcase first.

You press this down one side at a time to remove the caps.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...8337-stuck-ujoints-img00019-20100427-1835.jpg Yes I do see you got it done. Posted this to help others.

Last edited:
So you tapped against the inside of the cap at the seal? I'm doing this soon

You have to hold down the prtion of the DC that holds the caps in place for the yoke on the tcase. Pull each cap, then remove the caps that are in the DC and the joint will come out. The piece that attaches to the tcase has a small spring that puts pressure on it so they dont fall out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...00427-1835.jpg

Back