• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heads

I think you can use any 91-06 4.0 head--those are all HO. I also think you can use a Renix 87-90 head, I think some strokers like to do that.

You will want to avoid any 00-01 heads marked "0331", the later heads have "TUPY" cast in them and are improved.

Cracked or badly warped?

Ok, metal shaving might have been carried from anywhere in the engine.

Grab a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can isolate the sound.

Is the engine running poorly? I would recommend a compression test, too.

Any photos of the shaving?

my freind has a 90 yj and he put on an alabama h.o cylinder head out of a 93 i believe. He said the only thing different is they had to weld over some of the water jackets to match up to the 1990 block. i would stick with the h.o head

I think you can use any 91-06 4.0 head--those are all HO. I also think you can use a Renix 87-90 head, I think some strokers like to do that.

You will want to avoid any 00-01 heads marked "0331", the later heads have "TUPY" cast in them and are improved.

Cracked or badly warped?

Hey - where'd you get the info on the TUPY casting? I've been wondering about that for a while now, and trying to figure out a reliable way to figure which castings won't crack...

@OP - For your 1996, the easiest swap would be the 0630 head, used 1996-1999. The 7120 head should also work (1991-1995,) but note exhaust port size (I've gotten differing data on whether the exhaust ports are the same size or not between the 0630 and 7120 - so exercise caution until I can confirm directly.)

If you do swap to the 0331 head (2001.5 and later,) check this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

my freind has a 90 yj and he put on an alabama h.o cylinder head out of a 93 i believe. He said the only thing different is they had to weld over some of the water jackets to match up to the 1990 block. i would stick with the h.o head

Yeah - but your friend's 1990 YJ should have had the 258ci block (last year of production, in fact,) so it's not the same swap.

Hey - where'd you get the info on the TUPY casting? I've been wondering about that for a while now, and trying to figure out a reliable way to figure which castings won't crack...

@OP - For your 1996, the easiest swap would be the 0630 head, used 1996-1999. The 7120 head should also work (1991-1995,) but note exhaust port size (I've gotten differing data on whether the exhaust ports are the same size or not between the 0630 and 7120 - so exercise caution until I can confirm directly.)

If you do swap to the 0331 head (2001.5 and later,) check this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

Ran across the TUPY information here on NAXJA.

Internet search turned up that TUPY is a Brazilian foundry.

Last edited:
96-99 are your best bet. They are the same head and have a location dowel rings. The 91-95 heads have basically the same ports. They don't have the location dowel rings. You would have to eye ball the location of the head to the block by the bolt holes. I did this on an '03 block. Also the 91-95 heads have a cooling sensor on the drivers side of the head that the 96-99 don't have. You would need to plug it up.
Tom

96-99 are your best bet. They are the same head and have a location dowel rings. The 91-95 heads have basically the same ports. They don't have the location dowel rings. You would have to eye ball the location of the head to the block by the bolt holes. I did this on an '03 block. Also the 91-95 heads have a cooling sensor on the drivers side of the head that the 96-99 don't have. You would need to plug it up.
Tom

eyeball the location or cut the heads off a few of the old head bolts and use those as alignment pins. if bolt is too long, cut the bolts shorter and slot the end so you can remove with straight screw driver when head is on and aligned.

Its been a few years since I put the '95 head on the '03 block. There are two locator dowel pins, not dowel rings. I had dowel rings on a Ford 351W. I might be the only one who had had this problem. I remeber about 5 others on a discussion of swapping in a 91-95 head onto a latter block. They didn't have this problem. I had to grind out some of the corners on the head I have to have clearance of the locator dowels. Casting do have some amount of core shift.
Tom

Back