• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to Look at a Broken XJ

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to look at a no-start 97 XJ after work tonight and wanted to run the scenario past the experts. The ad says the XJ has fuel pressure but won't fire. I'm waiting on more detail from the owner but it sounds like it cranks but won't start. I'm thinking either the CPS or the ignition coil. He says he tried starter fluid with no fire and looked inside the distributor cap with nothing apparent and no corrosion. He says he replaced the PCM but that wasn't it. I know some people have had issues with the wiring in the 97's but I think a much more likely culprit would be the coil or CPS. He says other than the no-start the drivetrain is good with 154K, AW4 and I assume NP231. Any thoughts?

I've heard back from the owner and he says he's been told its a bad PCM. He also says he's replaced the PCM but that its still not starting. I'm wondering if there's a short and he fried the replacement PCM, or that wasn't the problem in the 1st place. I'm leaning towards ignition coil at this point.

CPS/CKP crank sensor; ASD relay; coil.

PCM won't trigger the coil without input from the crank sensor; coil will not have 12 volts to the primary windings without the ASD relay; and then the coil.

Crank sensor, ASD relay, coil is how I would rank the failures.

Joe, can I just swap the ASD relay from my running 98XJ to test it at his house? Will that blow my ASD relay? Could I try unplugging the CPS? The XJ is parked in the mud and its pouring outside so I won't be able to troubleshoot much until its home in my garage. I'm looking isolate or determine the problem before proper reconditioning.

Relays are all the same, swap your a/c relay if so equipped, or I would just swap HIS a/c relay.

EDIT: take your ohm meter and check the crank sensor, I believe the 97 would be the same as yours, infinite resistance.

Sounds like a cps to me too. Scoop it up if the price is right!

I've had problems with both my crank sensor and cam sensor.
The crank sensor did not give a light or a code but the cam sensor gave both.
Hope this helps.
If the price is low enough, tow it home. I do not recommend repairing it in the sellers driveway. I did this once and it did not turn out well.

I've had problems with both my crank sensor and cam sensor.
The crank sensor did not give a light or a code but the cam sensor gave both.
Hope this helps.
If the price is low enough, tow it home. I do not recommend repairing it in the sellers driveway. I did this once and it did not turn out well.

GOOD POINT! On the early Renix the synch sensor (cam sensor, CPS/CMP) will not cause a no-start, but on the Chryco XJs I have been told it will.

OP, take a NOID light along with you to see if there is a pulse to the injectors.

I do not recommend repairing it in the sellers driveway. I did this once and it did not turn out well.

I remember something about buying a no start XJ for $50 from a guy in Fort Collins, and after the transaction, getting the title signed over, and 5 minutes worth of work, driving it home. The guy was really pissed.

I remember something about buying a no start XJ for $50 from a guy in Fort Collins, and after the transaction, getting the title signed over, and 5 minutes worth of work, driving it home. The guy was really pissed.

Caveat venditor - Let the seller beware

Back