• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rausch Creek Qualifier.....going racing

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, I was planning to bring the new to me '97 XJ on 33's and join you all for the weekend at Big Bear. Looking forward to hanging out with everyone. But, I just got asked to co-drive in the KOH Rausch Creek Qualifier race the same weekend and help get the ORI shocks tuned. So, next Tues I'm flying out to PA and going racing in the mud. I'm sure the east coast guys are going to laugh their asses off seeing me covered head to toe in mud if it rains.......I hate mud.

If you're in the mood to follow the race, it's Fri May 7th. I'll be riding with Fred Hill in car number 17x. This same car came in 3rd last year when Greg Stone had it. Racing through the trees is going to be a new experience. Wish me luck....... :)

Good luck at Rausch Creek! Got a feeling that more than a few of the NAC crowd will be there.

Can't get away from the punishment eh richard

Can't get away from the punishment eh richard

Evidently not......

Riding, through the trees, with a guy who wants to win, in a fast buggy. Glad I bought the R3. :)

See you there...in PA...

I'll give you a big muddy hug...welcome to the east coast!

mac 'crew chief #302 Branik Motorsports Rosco' gyvr

See you there...in PA...

I'll give you a big muddy hug...welcome to the east coast!

mac 'crew chief #302 Branik Motorsports Rosco' gyvr

Should be fun hanging with you guys in your own back yard. Who's going to drive me in my rent car back to the hotel Fri night? :D

I'll have to get used to riding real quick, and I hope Fred is a good tree dodger. :)

Should be fun hanging with you guys in your own back yard. Who's going to drive me in my rent car back to the hotel Fri night? :D

I'll have to get used to riding real quick, and I hope Fred is a good tree dodger. :)

I can pretty much guarantee I won't be able to drive you back...

mac 'you'll just have to party with us!' gyvr

There was a short speed trial yesterday for starting order, and we placed 9th. So, the race is today at 10:00 am and we're 9th starting position out of I think 33 racers. The course is about 17 miles and we'll do 4 laps. It's nice back here, lot's of green and trees. It didn't rain much so the course is mostly dry, but there are still big mud sections and lots of water......I'm going to get dirty and wet. As long as we miss the trees I'll be fine It's also nice seeing a bunch of the NAC NAXJA guys.

Have fun at Calico.

Good Luck Richard!!!

What do you mean by this Green and Tree words :D

I got back to PA Tues evening. We spent Wed working on the car getting it ready and tuning the shocks. Thank heavens it didn't rain much, only a shower a couple times, so it was mostly dry. Still big puddles and mud holes all over. Thursday morning we did some pre-running on the course.

Thursday afternoon we ran the time trial qualifier for starting position and came in 9th. This was a short mostly rock course with times around 2 minutes. They started us Fri two in a row, one minute apart, so 9th put us in the 5th row. We burped a tire flat around mile 5, filled it up, then later we broke off a Walker Evans wheel on the drivers rear. Broke a couple studs and then pulled the other three through the wheel breaking the wheel. No way to tell how it happened, but the wheel was real chewed up around the lug holes so most likely the lug nuts worked loose.......but they were tightened the night before, so who knows. All five studs (9/16) where gone or destroyed and we had no spare or jack, so we were pretty screwed. We had just finished a pretty long high speed section on county roads (they actually closed a section of road and rerouted the school bus for Fri, pretty cool) and dropped down a long rocky hill, and the wheel came off giving it some power to get over a big rock. Our friends Sean and Pete, who we were sharing pits with, eventually came by and the plan was for them to bring us a tire and wheel lugs. They ended up breaking a shock and had to put on an air shock on the rear in the pits before they came back around to us.

In the mean time another friend Travis came through the pits and agreed to drop us some lug studs and nuts, so they tossed the bag to us as they went by. We got a jack from one of the other competitors who had broken near us, they didn't have a spare tire so they let us take their jack. So we got it jacked up and got the new studs in (with quite a bit of difficulty) and couldn't suck them all the way into the flange. Sean and Pete came by and dropped off the spare and we put it on and were ready to go, but it all took over 3 hours. We took off but stopped a couple times for me to tighten the lug nuts since the studs hadn't sucked all the way in. We got to one of the harder obstacles about a mile before the finish line, gassed it up the very top ledge and smacked a big rock with the drivers front as we came over the top. It bounced us back and the pass rear went in a perfectly tire sized hole between the rocks and we broke a rear shaft. The crowd told us to stop since they saw what happened. It was a 35 spline chromo shaft in a 9" housing and it broke about an inch inside the flange, right at the wheel bearing.

By this time it was after 3:00 and we weren't finished with the first lap yet, so one of the crew got the spare axle and brought it to us. This DQ'd us since we're not allowed any outside help (just from other racers) but we were done anyway. We fixed the shaft and drove on to the finish line. Quite a day, but it was fun. While we were sitting waiting on parts and working on the rig, we got to see the race as the other cars were lapping us. I helped a few other racers who broke or had issues near us. Really, it was a pretty cool race. It would be fun to come out and race it....if it didn't rain. I got covered in muddy water a few times with the puddles and we only did one lap, and it had been pretty dry all week. There were 33 cars in the race, and 17 finished.

I've met some of the guys from back east, and it was fun to get to meet more of them. Saw a number of guys from the NAC chapter. It was a fun race course, about 17 miles and the race did 4 laps. Dirt and rocky sections through the trees, up and down the hills, some wide open dirt sections and some asphalt and gravel roads, as well as steep rocky climbs and plenty of rock gardens. I'm glad I got a chance to go. If it wasn't so far, it would be fun to take mine and race there.

LOL... I wonder if it was the same course they ran last year. Got to see it this winter, helluva course... did most of it years ago and can't imagine racing it.

And, LOL@ the mud-a-phobia, having lived and wheeled there for at least a decade before moving here.

I got back to PA Tues evening. We spent Wed working on the car getting it ready and tuning the shocks. Thank heavens it didn't rain much, only a shower a couple times, so it was mostly dry. Still big puddles and mud holes all over. Thursday morning we did some pre-running on the course.

Thursday afternoon we ran the time trial qualifier for starting position and came in 9th. This was a short mostly rock course with times around 2 minutes. They started us Fri two in a row, one minute apart, so 9th put us in the 5th row. We burped a tire flat around mile 5, filled it up, then later we broke off a Walker Evans wheel on the drivers rear. Broke a couple studs and then pulled the other three through the wheel breaking the wheel. No way to tell how it happened, but the wheel was real chewed up around the lug holes so most likely the lug nuts worked loose.......but they were tightened the night before, so who knows. All five studs (9/16) where gone or destroyed and we had no spare or jack, so we were pretty screwed. We had just finished a pretty long high speed section on county roads (they actually closed a section of road and rerouted the school bus for Fri, pretty cool) and dropped down a long rocky hill, and the wheel came off giving it some power to get over a big rock. Our friends Sean and Pete, who we were sharing pits with, eventually came by and the plan was for them to bring us a tire and wheel lugs. They ended up breaking a shock and had to put on an air shock on the rear in the pits before they came back around to us.

In the mean time another friend Travis came through the pits and agreed to drop us some lug studs and nuts, so they tossed the bag to us as they went by. We got a jack from one of the other competitors who had broken near us, they didn't have a spare tire so they let us take their jack. So we got it jacked up and got the new studs in (with quite a bit of difficulty) and couldn't suck them all the way into the flange. Sean and Pete came by and dropped off the spare and we put it on and were ready to go, but it all took over 3 hours. We took off but stopped a couple times for me to tighten the lug nuts since the studs hadn't sucked all the way in. We got to one of the harder obstacles about a mile before the finish line, gassed it up the very top ledge and smacked a big rock with the drivers front as we came over the top. It bounced us back and the pass rear went in a perfectly tire sized hole between the rocks and we broke a rear shaft. The crowd told us to stop since they saw what happened. It was a 35 spline chromo shaft in a 9" housing and it broke about an inch inside the flange, right at the wheel bearing.

By this time it was after 3:00 and we weren't finished with the first lap yet, so one of the crew got the spare axle and brought it to us. This DQ'd us since we're not allowed any outside help (just from other racers) but we were done anyway. We fixed the shaft and drove on to the finish line. Quite a day, but it was fun. While we were sitting waiting on parts and working on the rig, we got to see the race as the other cars were lapping us. I helped a few other racers who broke or had issues near us. Really, it was a pretty cool race. It would be fun to come out and race it....if it didn't rain. I got covered in muddy water a few times with the puddles and we only did one lap, and it had been pretty dry all week. There were 33 cars in the race, and 17 finished.

I've met some of the guys from back east, and it was fun to get to meet more of them. Saw a number of guys from the NAC chapter. It was a fun race course, about 17 miles and the race did 4 laps. Dirt and rocky sections through the trees, up and down the hills, some wide open dirt sections and some asphalt and gravel roads, as well as steep rocky climbs and plenty of rock gardens. I'm glad I got a chance to go. If it wasn't so far, it would be fun to take mine and race there.

Richard it was good to see you, even tho I'm a MWC guy not a NAC guy, I did meet a few NAC peps too. We had taken two to qualify the #302 and the #518. The #302 had as bad of a day as you guys, but did manage to almost get three laps in. The #518 finished 10th and qualified for KOH 2011! I meant to try to catch with you and Rose friday evening but I really was sick the entire week and was pushing it to be able to help do what I did, so by the time it was all said and done I was exhausted.

mac 'glad you enjoyed the east' gyvr

Just dug up this post again.....
Hi Richard!! I wanted to drop you a quick note and say it was great to see you again. Last time we met it was out in Moab in 01. Unfortunately I haven't made it back out there again yet, but I will one of these days. Sorry that the race didn't go better for you and Fred, I was hoping you guys would be in the top 10. The NAC crew had fun watching everyone thrash their stuff up through Crawl-Daddy. Some very impressive buggies, thats for sure. I had to head for home Friday night, or we would have dropped by and had a few beers with you gents after the race. It had been quite a while since I had seen Sean too. Looks like he is still racing/beating on "moms rig"...

Hope you had a safe trip home, and if you find yourself in our neck of the woods again, plan on a day of wheeling after the race. I'll put a group together and we'll run some hard trails at RC...:viking:

Andy

Back