• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another vibration thread

georger

NAXJA Forum User
2001, auto, 231 with 3.5" RE lift on 31", RE transfer case drop, 125k miles.

I've been following a couple of SYE, DS, rear end vibration threads and mine is displaying aspects of several on them. I have been diagnosing according to the info I found here, and am looking for verification of a critique on my plan to solve my shakes.

To set this up, three weeks ago I dropped in a junk yard Chrysler 8.25. At that time I did a brake job and bolted it to my stock drive shaft. After that install, I had some new, random vibrations. mainly at highway speed, usually when I let off the gas. These were more of a mild howling or groaning rather than a real vibration, if that makes any sense. There was also some very minor clicking as I came to a stop, with the brakes on, no clicking when off the brakes. I noticed no noticeable play in the wheels or the drive yoke in the 8.25, but then, I really have no experience with this.

So this week I crawled under to see if any of my bolts had worked loose, all looked good with the exception of a U-joint strap. I had had a Iron Rock Off Road Hack n' tap kit waiting to put on, so I went ahead and removed my TC lowering kit and installed it, wondering if changing the rear end had changed my DS angle enough to introduce those mild vibes. I installed it according to directions, and it went on fairly easily (Tip: use high quality, sharp bits when drilling out the TC shaft). I took it out for a test spin, and it seemed smooth up to about 55/65 MPH. At that speed, it has a noticeable vibration with a slightly louder howl.

Last night I pulled the new-to-me DS, (it's the "rebuilt" front DS supplied with the kit) to swap phase as a cheap way to start trouble shooting this. I busted a bolt from that same, loose U-joint strap, so I decided to drive to work in Front wheel drive this morning until I could stop to pick up a bolt extractor. The funny thing was, the vibes were still there, although less intense, and at different speeds.

So, here's my guess on the possible problems and potential solutions.
1. My new/used DS is out of balance and I need to check the U-joints. I deduce this from the increased intensity of vibes with that shaft in. I have a couple of places I am calling to get this balanced
2. Check for balance and U-joints on my front DS. Reasoning being the vibes are still there, but different as I drive around in front wheel drive.
3. Check my DS angles and shim. This is lower on this list purely because I really don't know what that means or how to do it.
4. Rebuild 8.25" with new bearings, etc all around. Lowest on the list because this, I'm pretty sure I can't do myself, and it will be spendy.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Back