• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Q - Approximately how much lift is a front DS good for? (SYE)

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed an AA SYE kit into my '99 and used a front DS out of an AW4 XJ. The DS is approximately 30" long fully extended and I'd say it is to about 29" right now. Is one inch enough play?

What height lift is a stock front DS usually good for?

how much lift do you have and how far does your suspension droop? if the DS has an inch of play at ride height i would say its too short, here is how i understand it (taken from another thread):
Measure at full compression and full droop. Subtract a half an inch to an inch from compression measurement, add an inch or two to droop measurement. That gives you fully extended and compressed lengths.

check around, maybe a shaft from something with a manuel transmission or a different transfer case will give you what you need.

If you aren't changing control arms at all when adding that 1.5" of lift, just put your jacks under the frame and hoist it up till it's 1.5" taller, then check driveshaft length. You can do it the math-nerd way (I've posted it up before, took me a while to figure out how to calculate it) or the 3 minutes with a hydro jack and jackstands way. Next time around, I'm choosing the latter :D

I have kept my stock front DS and am running 5.5" of lift. So far, no problems and I've flexed fully a few times. Your question sort of worries me, though.

you should be good

if it worries you, try a front shaft out of a standard xj.

Front shaft out of a standard XJ is a few inches shorter actually... try one out of a V8 ZJ from what I've read. If I wasn't so lazy I could take a look in my Dana J321-CV catalog and tell you how much longer it is.

EDIT: 4.0L/AW4 shaft is 30.66", 4.0L/AX-15 shaft is 29.25" (1.41" shorter), V8/chrycrap from a ZJ is 32.87" except a few years which are apparently 29.6"

Last edited:
oops, sorry. Those are compressed lengths, center of U-joint @ slip end to center of U-joint @ far end of CV joint.

Im running Fulll Traction 6" leafs and a front DS out of an AW4 XJ, no problems ...yet.

I ran a bone stock shaft in the rear of mine for about 2 years at 5.5 inches of lift. I did recently get it lengthened though just so the slip joint is right in the middle at ride height

I'm at 6" in the back and no issues, you have to remember that the further the axle droops it also arches forward. i actually ordered a TW shaft for a 5.5" lift and they were the same length.

OK well I remeasured as I wasn't going from u-joint to u-joint before. Fully compressed it is about 30" and fully extended about 33". I'm currently running at about 31.75" or so. That's kind of odd huh? Why am I so long at only 3" of lift?

Oh well if you're running it at 5.5" and 6" of lift I should be fine at 4".

OK well I remeasured as I wasn't going from u-joint to u-joint before. Fully compressed it is about 30" and fully extended about 33". I'm currently running at about 31.75" or so. That's kind of odd huh? Why am I so long at only 3" of lift?

Oh well if you're running it at 5.5" and 6" of lift I should be fine at 4".

What axle?

Back