• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fire road and fishing!!!

91blackbox

NAXJA Forum User
so me and bhicks were thinking about a small run up the angelous oaks fire road trails then do some fishing... who's in??? how about some of you new yucaipa people...

Will be going Saturday. I was thinking to head out from my place somewhere between 8 and 9 am. From Forest Falls to the Angeles Oaks fire road is about 10 minutes. The fire road itself is about a 25 minute run down into the canyon area. We could also add the lower part of the road which goes from mtn. Home Village across to Angeles Oaks. That would mean back roads all the way there. May be a little more fun. That section of the trail takes about 45 minutes. If we add that section then we probably want to meet by 8:00 am. We will be stream fishing along the Santa Ana River (south fork section). Will be stocked Thursday or Friday so fishing should be good on Saturday. I will probably fish the stream from 7 Oaks up to highway 38. If people want to join us just for fishing then they could take 38 to Glass rd. and take that down to the Santa Ana river. Just drive along the river until you see the Jeeps. If guys aren't big on fishing, they could just do the trail run with us. The end of the trail dumps out right at the 7 Oaks camping area. That is a great place to have a bar-b-que. We could all bring some meat and grill it up for lunch. Some of us could fish the stream right there in 7 Oaks while the rest could just hang out and eat and drink until you get sick. No matter what, I will be doing the run and fishing. Whoever wants to join in feel free.

hey brad i'll bring my grill... for lunch lol.. i have a nice one.. so let say we meet at the picnic area on 38 by the trail head???

hey brad i'll bring my grill... for lunch lol.. i have a nice one.. so let say we meet at the picnic area on 38 by the trail head???

I think the picnic area is on the South Side of 38 and the trail head is on the North Side. It will probably be easier to just park along 38 on the North side right next to the trail. I will try to get there a little early so people know where to go. I will park close to 38 so I'm visible to any drivers. So 8:00 am it is. I look forward to Saturday and hopefully we can meet some new faces. To all who may be interested, this trail is a fire road. Any stock XJ could easily run this trail. No mods are needed. I ran it in my Accord two year back. (Not Advised!) This is more about eating and fishing and possibly meeting some new faces then it is about wheelin.

nice im in i fixed some stuff on the heep now need to see if it all works.
what the fishing like out there? how r the big mouth bass out there?

nice im in i fixed some stuff on the heep now need to see if it all works.
what the fishing like out there? how r the big mouth bass out there?

Sorry, no bass where were going. They only stock rainbow trout along the Santa Ana. You want to bring the smallest lightest pole you own. If you don't have any ultralights then just let me know. I have a lot of small trout poles. Sometimes you can get into some good sized native browns, but nothing else. If your looking for something large that's going to put up a big fight then you need to go with me when I fish Silverwood. They have striped bass in their that get over 30 lbs. I hooked up one a couple years back on an ultra light with 4 lb test. I was fishing for stocker size rainbow. I caught the rainbow and as I was realing it in the striper decided to eat my rainbow. I got towed completely across the lake in my float tube before he finally snapped me off. I never landed him but I did get a good look at him as he passed under me. Probably close to 20 lbs. I have since stopped fishing for rainbow at Silverwood and just go for the big fellas. It's a ton of fun in a little float tube. I look a little ridiculous with my 10" and 12" rubber rainbow trout swim bait and heavy tackle in my little float tube but the guys stop laughing when I start catching. It's funny that my bait is bigger than the fish they are catching.

This sounds pretty sweet. I hate fishing streams though... I might just go up for the drive and Dereks dirty jokes.

fishing streams successfully is kind of a science. It takes time to get good, but once you understand how fish behave in running water it becomes a blast.

Sorry, no bass where were going. They only stock rainbow trout along the Santa Ana. You want to bring the smallest lightest pole you own. If you don't have any ultralights then just let me know. I have a lot of small trout poles. Sometimes you can get into some good sized native browns, but nothing else. If your looking for something large that's going to put up a big fight then you need to go with me when I fish Silverwood. They have striped bass in their that get over 30 lbs. I hooked up one a couple years back on an ultra light with 4 lb test. I was fishing for stocker size rainbow. I caught the rainbow and as I was realing it in the striper decided to eat my rainbow. I got towed completely across the lake in my float tube before he finally snapped me off. I never landed him but I did get a good look at him as he passed under me. Probably close to 20 lbs. I have since stopped fishing for rainbow at Silverwood and just go for the big fellas. It's a ton of fun in a little float tube. I look a little ridiculous with my 10" and 12" rubber rainbow trout swim bait and heavy tackle in my little float tube but the guys stop laughing when I start catching. It's funny that my bait is bigger than the fish they are catching.

that's cool i love to fish for trout two. Man let me know the next time your going to silverwood I'll meet you out there to get some of the big bass i got a float tube and maybe the old man will let me take the bass tracker.

The Seven Oaks Campground has a bar and restaurant there. The beer is cold and the bacon cheeseburger is the best!!! Don't know if you can just stop in there and use the campground... I believe you are supposed to buy a day pass from them.

I was planning on getting my Jeep smogged on Saturday morning, but maybe I can run up there after that. I could just start at the south fork damn and head down until I find you. I would have to buy a new adventure pass and fishing license.

The Seven Oaks Campground has a bar and restaurant there. The beer is cold and the bacon cheeseburger is the best!!! Don't know if you can just stop in there and use the campground... I believe you are supposed to buy a day pass from them.

I was planning on getting my Jeep smogged on Saturday morning, but maybe I can run up there after that. I could just start at the south fork damn and head down until I find you. I would have to buy a new adventure pass and fishing license.

Your right about the day pass. I was going to cover that cost. It isn't very much. Hopefully you can join us.

its true about fishing streams as being difficult and boring to some. but learning how can actually be quite rewarding. a couple tips for the santa ana area is make sure you get some crickets for bait. trust me on this one. small hook, bait it up and find a small pool were the water is moving pretty good in circles. like mentioned, you wont get a huge fish in streams, but catching those little brookies are still alot of fun. the bigger ones like to stay deep under a shelf were the water makes a long bend (hard to find in small streams). id love to join you guys, but unfortunatly my stream fishing days are over. (unless theres a wheelchair trail along the way). but i would be interested in meeting up with you guys in silverwood sometime. never been ON that lake and would like to take the boat there. maybe make a weekend of it with the 5th wheel and have the wife tow up the boat.

Back