• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube flare write up.

Captain Ruggy

NAXJA Forum User
Finished my tube flares.

I finally finished my tube flares and got them all bedlined. Her's a few pics of the finished product. I think the black bedliner ties in well with the rest of the jeep. What do you think?

jeep018Small.jpg

jeep002Small.jpg

jeep003Small.jpg

jeep011Small-1.jpg

Re: Finished my tube flares.

I actually used pipe for the tube. and it was 3/4 ID. It was a little over an inch OD. Worked perfect and didn't kink too easily when bending it. The sheet was 16 gauge. They are strong enough to stand on, and if I ever need to, I can take them back off.

Ok, this will be somewhat of a write up on my flares.

It all started about a month or so ago. I got pulled over for the tires sticking out too far. I drove it this way for 2 years! I guess I just got pulled over on a bad day. He gave me 30 days to get them covered. I already have four rear tj flares I was going to put on it, but I thought I would try to build my own. If it didn't work out, I could always throw the tj flares on.

A couple things I wanted. First, I wanted them to be affordable. I didn't want to buy those qtr. panel guards and build off of them. Second, I wanted them to be able to be easily removeable, as in bolt on. And most of all, I wanted them to be strong.

So I borrowed a pipe bender from a friend, and went looking for tube. I ended up using 3/4 inch ID pipe from Lowes. I bought 2 ten foot long pieces and had them cut them down into five foot long pieces. The cost was right around 20 bucks.

Then I took them home and tried my hand at bending them. This was a lot of trial and error and lots of running back and forth to the jeep to hold them up to it.
tubeflares1.jpg

I bought some flat steel to use to make tabs with. I cut the tubes to the lengths I wanted, then I made tabs and welded them to the ends of the tube, so I could bolt it to the jeep.
tubeflares2.jpg

tubeflares6.jpg

Once it was bolted to the jeep, I made a cardboard template for the sheet metal. I used 16 gauge, so it would be strong, and I wouldn't burn throught it too easily when I welded it. Then I welded the sheetmetal to the tube.
tubeflares3.jpg

tubeflares5.jpg

Once that was done, I made 3 tabs from flat steel and bent them at a 90. I welded these to the sheetmetal against the fender. The flare is held to the fender with 5 bolts.
tubeflares4.jpg

I then made some reinforcments to the flare to make it strong. I used 1/8 inch thick flat steel and bent it however I need it to. I put one at the front tab, one at the rear tab and one at the middle tab on the front flares.

Front.
tubeflares004Small.jpg

Middle.
tubeflares003Small.jpg

Rear.
tubeflares002Small.jpg

To be continued.

Definitely a cool cheap fix for "streetin" your offroad rig.

Front and middle driver's side.
tubeflares005Small.jpg

Middle and rear driver's side.
tubeflares006Small.jpg

The rear ones mount a little different. I couldn't make the tabs like I did on the fronts because their isn't enough room on the Qtr panel. I made the front and rear tabs like the front flares, but I made the middle 3 stick straight out.
tubeflares13.jpg

Then I made slots that the tabs slide into. I had to remove the interior panels in the back to get at the backside of the qtr. panel. I bolted the middle and front tabs through the wheel well. If you look at this picture you can see the 2 tabs bolted in the wheel well. The rear most tab couldn't be bolted in because it is too high up off of the wheel well. So I simply bolted a piece of angle to it, against the inside of the qtr. panel.
tubeflares011Small.jpg

For all the bolts going through I made small plates out of steel to help prevent the bolts from ever pulling through.
tubeflares010Small.jpg

For the rear tab I made this bracket iside the qtr panel to help spread the load. This is the inside of the picture shown above.
tubeflares007Small.jpg

The bolt for the front tab had to go through the vent in the door jamb.
tubeflares009Small.jpg

This is where we stood at this point.
tubeflares12.jpg

tubeflares015Small.jpg

thanks for the pics! i thought i had seen your jeep on here before. some of the pictures i recognize, while others look new. great job. and i love the look. didnt you have your son standing on them at one point?

subscribed.... this one is on my ever growing list of "crap i want to, but will probably never do". haha, i work at home depot (used to work at a lowes, ha! whats stocked is essentially the same at both places), so who knows. i walk by the little bit of metal we do stock, and think every day of what i could make. but making bends is the problem area for me.

So I think they are strong enough. This is my 14 year old son standing on them. I also stood on them, but I have no pics of that.
tubeflares14.jpg

tubeflares15.jpg

Then I used automotive seam sealer and ran a bead of that on the inside where the flare meets the jeep. I left this dry for a day then prepped the flares, fenders and qtr panels for bedliner. I wasn't sure if I was going to bedline the front fender like I did or not, but now that it is done, I like it.

jeep002Small.jpg

All in all, they weren't that hard to make, but were sometimes a pain in the butt. Lots of grinding. Lot's of patience. But worth it in the end.

The tools I used were a cut off saw, grinder, welder, and a jigsaw to cut the sheetmetal. Plus all the misc. stuff of course.

For materials I used 20 feet of 3/4 ID pipe from lowes. I got four pieces of 16 gauge sheet. 5 inches by 4 foot long. And I got some angle, and some flat stock for making the tabs and brackets.

The pipe cost me 20 bucks, the sheet was also 20, and other metal I used totalled up to around 25 bucks or so. I bought all the bolts from the local hardwars store, I used grade 5. I think I spent around 7 bucks or so for those. Plus the 43 dollars for the bedliner. I have a little over a hundred dollars into them. I guess a little more if you would count the consumables, like welding wire, grinding wheels, jigsaw blades, etc.

This was only my second fab project. My first was my tube doors. I would encourage anyone to go and give it a try. There is nothing like the satisfaction of building something for yourself. I hope this was somewhat informative. And thanks for reading along. Good Luck.

kudos bro, especially for your "second project". this goes to show what a bit of vision and persistance can land you. they look much better than anything ive seen (aside from hannemans. haha).

but like i said, im a fan. did you trim the fenders before this was done? what method did you use for the rear? and how did you clean up the front wheel well? pics?

I did the standard cut and fold in the rear. In the front, I traced around the stock flare, took the flare off, and cut to the line. It gave my plenty of clearance for the 35's.

Re: Finished my tube flares.

I LIKE!!
When do you go into production?

Back