• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Replacement

yjnick95

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the head on my 00 xj just turn 135000. The po put some kind of jb weld or some other product like that on the crack. I got a 2006 TUPY head from a TJ with 27k on it. I got mopar upper gasket kit and new head bolts for the dealer. Anything other than normal stuff i need to know about. Any freak issues anyone has had? Thanks in adavanced

Don't forget that head bolt number 11 passes through the water jacket and has to have thread sealer on it, and it also is torqued lower than the rest of the bolts.

I just did this and remember the back drivers side head bolt has to come in and out with the head because of the threaded stud ontop. I can only suggest taking one of the new headbolts and shorten the stud as much as possible just enough that you can thread the ground strap on. Will make it much easier getting that bolt in and toqruing it down.

Also take the head and intake exhaust manifolds off with the head in one piece. Made the swap easier just make sure you ahve a 2nd person to help you pull it and place it back on.

New t-stat and coolant. Clean things while you have them off such as the intake manifold and throttle body. If you don't have a FSM or some sort of manual, get one. There is a specific torque sequence and pattern for the head bolts and manifold bolts. Also, on the rear most bolt you just wrap it in tape to keep it out of the threads then pull the head. Remember to put it back on with tape prior to installing the head.

If you have the cash rent or buy an engine lift. Pull the head and manifolds as one piece and assemble the new unit outside the engine bay. Then drop it in. 70lbs is a lot to lift over the front.

while i had my head off i ran down to home depot and went in the cleaning section. They have these very long wire type flexible brush that i use to clean out my manifold and it came out like brand new. i let the manifold soak in some citrus degreaser over night and that loosend up the carbon.

Back