• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ubolts...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
need some u-bolts for a lift install this weekend.

I know national springs is right down the street cuz I used them for center pins and spring clamps, but having had to do brakes on both our van and the jeep this last weekend, has simply blown our disposable budget right now...:tears:

$55.00 for ubolts is a "no-go". (thats what they just quoted me)

crap.

any other options? I'm not going to swap in my 8.25 right now, so all I need are some d35 ones.My susp. is fully clapped out, otherwise I'd just
wait to do everything till I have ubolts and my disc swap done...

ill check and see if i still have my RE u-bolts, they were used for about 6 months

edit: i karma'd them away to someone on jeepforum. sorry man

Last edited:
turns out pep boys has 1/2 bolts with 2-3/4" ID and between 6-7" overall length. I called again, on a hunch,after being told last week that they didn't carry them. My wife just recently dealt with that same genius while picking up brakes for our van on her way home.

I talked to the gent I usually deal with, and he's like, "oh, sure, just give me some measurements and I'll go check..."

Sure enough, he's got 'em. about $7 a bolt. Still expensive(its a BOLT after all) but certainly significantly less than $55.00, plus tax, for all four.

turns out pep boys has 1/2 bolts with 2-3/4" ID and between 6-7" overall length. I called again, on a hunch,after being told last week that they didn't carry them. My wife just recently dealt with that same genius while picking up brakes for our van on her way home.

I talked to the gent I usually deal with, and he's like, "oh, sure, just give me some measurements and I'll go check..."

Sure enough, he's got 'em. about $7 a bolt. Still expensive(its a BOLT after all) but certainly significantly less than $55.00, plus tax, for all four.
I have made the mistake of buying Pep Boys u-bolts before. I do not recommend them. The ones I had stripped before they even reached the required torque. They are junk. Don't try to be cheap with u-bolts, it's not worth it.

I have made the mistake of buying Pep Boys u-bolts before. I do not recommend them. The ones I had stripped before they even reached the required torque. They are junk. Don't try to be cheap with u-bolts, it's not worth it.

John I respect your opinion. I'm keeping my d35 for now. I have a 8.25 that I'm gathering parts for an install, in my garage, but its going to be a while before its done.

Here's my choices as I see them:

1. Re-use my old ubolts if I can get them off

2. Cancel my build day coming up on saturday until I can afford $60.00 for ubolts, at which point, I might as well wait till my 8.25 is done. (problem is, I need to address worn suspension issues, now.

3. Run $30.00 u-bolts for a month or two until I get my 8.25 done, at which point I can spring for the HD national spring bolts.

any other options?

any by the way, I'm not being cheap. $55.00 for ubolts is expensive. sorry. but its true. I just completely re-did my front brakes for less than that, dude..haha!!

Especially if its for an axle that I'm not planning on keeping longterm.

:)

John I respect your opinion. I'm keeping my d35 for now. I have a 8.25 that I'm gathering parts for an install, in my garage, but its going to be a while before its done.
Yeah... I tried Pep Boys ubolts before and they.... well.... failed badly! I could not torque them down as they were very "soft" metal.
1. Re-use my old ubolts if I can get them off
Yes. If they're long enough. I have reused my ubolts in the past. If I was to replace ubolts with new ones every time I had to take my axle off, I"d go broke fast.

any by the way, I'm not being cheap. $55.00 for ubolts is expensive. sorry. but its true. I just completely re-did my front brakes for less than that, dude..haha!!

Especially if its for an axle that I'm not planning on keeping longterm.

:)
You do relized they make then there, dont you. 55 for a set of u-bolts like the beefy ones they sell there, is way worth it.

You do relized they make then there, dont you. 55 for a set of u-bolts like the beefy ones they sell there, is way worth it.

I'm not saying its not worth it, I'm saying this is an axle that is not staying perminantly on the truck.

I'm not going to waste $60.00 on an axle that'll likely only be on the truck for a month or two. I def. understand how beefy the ones they make in house are....and if I could just re-use them in a month, I'd be totally find dropping the coin.

:rof:

Man, wish I'd kept the set of d35 bolts I had (bought new, mistakenly got d35 ones not 8.25 ones)... gave em away a few months back.

I paid $43 to have a set of 9/16" grade-8 bolts made while I waited. Maybe it's just cali prices vs NE prices, but I think 55 is a little steep. You can probably get them even cheaper if you shop around.

Man, wish I'd kept the set of d35 bolts I had (bought new, mistakenly got d35 ones not 8.25 ones)... gave em away a few months back.

I paid $43 to have a set of 9/16" grade-8 bolts made while I waited. Maybe it's just cali prices vs NE prices, but I think 55 is a little steep. You can probably get them even cheaper if you shop around.

yup, been shopping, thanks man!

How does this sound, just got off the phone with Borderparts in Spring valley:

"american made good quality 3/8" bolts with the correct width (2.75" ID) and length(6-7" overall)"

I didn't even think to call John till now. He said they're spec'd out for CJ's and kaiser-willy's trucks.

Better option for right now than my existing bolts or pep boyz brand? I know those are 1/2" and the
ones that nat. would build are probably 1/2" or 9/16" but I thought I'd see what y'all thought.

Last edited:
I think I paid 40 cash for my grade8 1/2 ubolts at North county spring. They are in Escondido though.... woulda got 5/8 but they were out

I think I paid 40 cash for my grade8 1/2 ubolts at North county spring. They are in Escondido though.... woulda got 5/8 but they were out
Yeah, I bought bolts from North County Spring recently for about $40 or so. I suggest using the stock bolts for the short term until you upgrade your axle then get good quality bolts. The stock bolts even used are probably better than the Pep Boys bolts. Good luck dude! If you need any help swapping out that axle after socalfest lemme know.

Yeah, I bought bolts from North County Spring recently for about $40 or so. I suggest using the stock bolts for the short term until you upgrade your axle then get good quality bolts. The stock bolts even used are probably better than the Pep Boys bolts. Good luck dude! If you need any help swapping out that axle after socalfest lemme know.

Thanks, John. I really do appreciate your input and your offer.

I ended up shopping around a bit on my commute home, calling a few places, and found that MIT (on pioneer in el cajon) had a RE ubolt setup
for $35.00 sittin' on their shelf. SCORE!

1/2", nice nuts(hehe) and washers, for half the price of national. PERFECT! Now I know that that there is no time limit on my axle swap, I can gather my ZJ stuff, driveshaft, and do it right AND still refresh my springs this weekend.

Hey John, could you PM me a price/idea on what it would take to install a ARB in my 8.25 while its out? I'm thinking that's the way I want to go eventually, and it makes sense (to me at least) to have it done before its in the truck. I'd be keeping the 3.55's.

thanks, everyone for helping me figure it out...yay!!!

-Brian

Back