• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee sport stalling

lefty84

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee sport with 4.0, automatic transmission, 92000 miles. I bought it on the 14th and was very happy until three days ago. It started dying at idle at stop lights/signs. Fires right back up again with no hestitation. Starts fine cold and has done it probably ten times over the last three days. I have put a k&n intake on it and replaced the plugs with the E3 diamond fires before it started acting up. Its been about six days since changing the plugs and it ran fine until three days ago. I searched and found some things about CPS and IAC so I got some throttle body cleaner and cleaned it up although it wasn't that dirty. I have done nothing to CPS yet. Could this be my problem? Any input would be appreciated and I swear ill do my best not to be an ass-hat! Thank you in advance

Reed

Assuming no check engine light? If so, pull stored codes for guidance.

I'd go with NGK spark plugs as well for your model.

Load test your battery; a marginal battery can create stalling symptoms. Yes, you can have a battery that is strong enough to start the engine but marginal enough to give the engine management system problems.

If it is dying ONLY at idle and when at street lights, it probably isn't the crank sensor. However, if stalling occurs at random speeds and times, that would make the crank sensor more suspect.

No CEL no misfire no rough idle. Runs like a champ minus the random die at idle. Starts great and runs smooth. Will swap out the battery from my explorer(optima redtop) and will swap out for ngk's. Will post back from there. Also have injector cleaner and will dump that in the tank just cuz. Thank you guys. Any other input on this?

Oh one more thing when I was changing my plugs a small 1" long piece of what looks like aluminum tube maybe 1/4" in diameter dropped to the ground didn't think much of it then thought maybe it fell off my toolbox tray as I had bumped it when the piece fell. Just thought at the time it might have been in the toolbox but is it possible that its from the coil bar?

Seen more bad than good reports about E3 plugs.
My 2000 did the same thing a few years back, but it got to the point that it would not start. Turned out to be the cam Pos Sensor wire. (my fault not the jeeps)

The E3 plug in my Craftsman lawnmower is doing a wonderful job!

NGKs!

Once you get the NGKs installed you may want to clear the PCM memory so it will "relearn" quicker.

The E3 plug in my Craftsman lawnmower is doing a wonderful job!

NGKs!

My lawnmower and air compressor only like B&S plugs(they both hate champions). All my other engines have NGKs except the Cummins.

Sometimes I think these fancy new sparkplugs are about as good as my magic wand.

Swapped the optima in yesterday and still stalled. Swapped the plugs out for champion coppers and so far so good. Only got about twenty minutes of driving in afterwards but no stalling ::thumbsup:: we will see how tomorrow goes. Keeping the fingers crossed that it was this simple. Thanks again guys for the help.

Swapped the optima in yesterday and still stalled. Swapped the plugs out for champion coppers and so far so good. Only got about twenty minutes of driving in afterwards but no stalling ::thumbsup:: we will see how tomorrow goes. Keeping the fingers crossed that it was this simple. Thanks again guys for the help.

Hope you got it whipped. Might take a few days for the PCM to relearn things.

Back