• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1310 or 1330 ujoints on a cv driveshaft?

JeeperYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered my cv driveshaft from ReedsOffroad.com and am happy with the huge ds they sent (2.5" dom tube). But, it was sent with 1310 on one side and 1330 on the other. How do I tell? They look the same. I included some pics, I hope it helps.

25483_1425700291183_1493061968_31098022_7301170_n.jpg

24203_1425598408636_1493061968_31097891_6010334_n.jpg

Standard measurements:
Cap Diameter: 1 1/16"
Across the outside of the caps: 3 7/32"

Cap Diameter: 1 1/16"
Across the outside of the caps: 3 5/8"

Careful though as there are "special Ford" versions of the above with 1 1/8" caps.

On the TC side I can measure it. But, the axle side I can't since it has a flange from the ford 8.8 How do I measure it?

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the TC side I can measure it. But, the axle side I can't since it has a flange from the ford 8.8 How do I measure it?

Thanks for the quick reply.
No problem.
From the pictures you posted above I don't see why you can't grab a vernier or ruler and measure it?

See the picture without it installed. On the right, not sure of the name (holds the two ujoints), but it shields the ujoint from a good measrement. See the ujoint sets in a little, then the clip? Am I looking at it wrong? I guess if the rear one (axle side) sits the same, I can assume it's the same as the front then?

Measure the outside of the flange adapter, then measure how far the end of the cap is from the outside of the adapter on each side and subtract

I would venture to say the 1330 u-joint is on the axle side since thats how you ordered it, so that you didnt have to deal with a conversion joint, or 1310 companion flange on the 8.8 correct?

FWIW, mine has 1350 at the T-case and 1310 at the axle. I ordered from Carolina driveline. He said it had something to do with balancing during rotation and it being "high angle" :dunno:

I would venture to say the 1330 u-joint is on the axle side since thats how you ordered it, so that you didnt have to deal with a conversion joint, or 1310 companion flange on the 8.8 correct?

Correct. The 1330 is on the axle (ford 8.8) side he said. The 1310 is on the TC side.

1330 is stock for the 8.8 ford. Not sure why that matters since you need an adapter anyway for the 8.8 flange. Maybe they figure the 1330 is stronger so they went with that. My tom woods shaft has all 1310's and the adapter flange.

I requested it. The 1310 is 1/2 ton and 1330 is 3/4 ton. Kind of why I wanted to check to see if it was done right ;) I looked at Tom Woods. But, I got the Spicer ujoints, and the 2.5 DOM tube and TW didn't offer that and was higher priced. Lower price did help with the budget :)

Not sure about the tube size but I know it's thicker than stock and they've always used spicer joints and yokes on all they're shafts.

I emailed someone there that said different. Hummm. Good to know. The tube size was 1.75 with them. TW shipped was $325 I think the guy said. ROR was 2.5" and $239

Cheaper isn't always better but that looks like a good shafts, much shorter than the one on my XJ. I get good discounts from my local clubs in house vendors too. I'm sure you could have found it cheaper than that elsewhere.

Cheaper isn't always better but that looks like a good shafts, much shorter than the one on my XJ. I get good discounts from my local clubs in house vendors too. I'm sure you could have found it cheaper than that elsewhere.

It's on my YJ. :) Metal is metal. Besides the size and ujoints they are probably the same.

I think it would be impossible to bend or twist even 1.75 DOM so I'm cool with what I've got. But if I ever do a new shaft on my TJ I might get one of the those for $240. Does yours have the long splines on the slip part, that makes a huge difference in overall strength and longevity? http://www.tomwoodscustomdriveshafts.com/aboutus.html Towards the bottom of the page is a picture of the one I have, long spline with the rubber boot, the splines are about a foot long and are also plastic coated so it is self lubing and rust proof.

Last edited:
Back