• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOUND INSULATION

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to build a closet with sound deadening insulation to put my air compressor in. The compressor is in the garage alongside an outside wall that is insulated with R13 & 1/2" sheetrock. There is 16' to my neighbors house but my garage is alonside their nursery & children's bedrooms.

I am attempting to be a good neighbor.

This is the compressor I have.

Maybe some eggcrate sound foam on all surfaces would do it?

Waiting eagerly for someone to post up a write up with a calculator.

If it's not a tuck under garage and the ceiling is rocked, you could put it in the rafters of the garage.

ive heard dj's use old carpet.
i was on a jobsite that had a bunch of extra sheet metal, and i kick myself weekly for not stealing some (of the scrap) to build a compressor shed.

luckily for my neighbors, i dont use mine that often (because it's soo loud, pretty much gotta go take a smoke break while it fills up.)

you should do a thread on it, when you do it.

Sorry i cant help more but if you can block the air out it will help like around the floor and ceiling where the door shuts that will help also.

we built exactly what your looking for at my buddies garage.

if you don't mind spending a bit of money try this;
1. frame a new wall off the outside wall and use acoustic caulking between the new studs and the old drywall, that will lessen sound trasmission, and don't forget a sill gasket between the shoe (bottom 2x4) and the concrete.
2. insulate with Roxul sound deadening insulation, or something like it.
3. if it's just a small room, double up the drywall, it helps.
4. seat the compressor on something rubber, rubber mat, hockey pucks, etc. we had his bolted through hockey pucks into the floor which transmissted some sound but nothing too bad.
5. for a door (if it's that big of a room) goto a home depot or the like and see if they have any demo sound proofing doors. we went to a home shop and asked what they had and they had a door with the laminate cut off to show what the internals were made of... $50.
6. don't forget to let it breath, fresh air in and vent the warm air it will create out

once its all said and done I'd guess you hear just a low drone from that compressor, we ran my buddies 2stage, 60 gal beast in a room like that and it was just fine. we even had a window that was just sitting around we tossed in to keep an eye on the pressures, water filter, etc.

We attached something similar to egg crate foam to small portable cubicle walls and set them next to our work compressor. This foam is very firm stuff designed for shipping heavy items, not sleeping on. Its amazing how well it works. Whatever sound waves aren't absorbed can be redirected.

I have seen people use an old muffler on the air intake to help noise. CMU block walls, and a fire proof steel door seem to work well too. if you like spending money. That plus, inner walls with insulation and some Quietrock, you'll never hear it.
I dont know how well it would work in this application, but butyl rubber roofing under layment like grace ice and water shield is very similar to dynomat. I think it works best on surfaces that resonate, like steel panels though.
Ideally you want to add density to your wall, to slow the transmission of sound waves, but you also want to isolate components so that vibrations can not transfer through them, making noise on the other side.
If your framing a wall, you might consider using 2x6's for the top and bottom plates, with 2x4's for the studs. Put them 2' on center, on each side of the 2x6 so that they are staggered every foot down the length of the 2x6. you can then weave something like the butyl rubber between the studs. This also allows for more insulation. By staggering the studs, sound will not travel through them, and out the other side of the wall.
For a door, if your looking to save money, you could try using more than one. In the same frame, have one door that opens in and one out, like a door between hotel rooms. A bit ghetto, but might do the trick.
As far as egg crate foam, and carpet, its my understanding that it does little to actually dampen the sound transmission. What it does is reduce echo inside the compartment, making it sound quieter. Its cheap enough that it cant hurt though
Just a few thoughts.
Lightfoot

try acoustic tiles

Back