• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinders 2 and 3 missing

nmcommando

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I just changed over an almost brand new rebuilt motor from a wrecked jeep I have. But not it shows that it's missing on cylinders 2 and 3 what could cause this to happen? It will start and but barely and the rpms must be kept high to keep it running. Also some background the motor sat for about 6 or 7 months. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Year/engine/any other info you care to share?

Yup, gotta have year/engine for accurate responses as there are significant differences through the years.

Have you run a compression test yet? Tuneup hardware fresh including plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? (no wires/cap/rotor on 00-01)

Ok well I just changed over an almost brand new rebuilt motor from a wrecked jeep I have. But not it shows that it's missing on cylinders 2 and 3 what could cause this to happen? It will start and but barely and the rpms must be kept high to keep it running. Also some background the motor sat for about 6 or 7 months. Any help is appreciated thanks.

how is it showing a miss on cylinder 2 and 3? are you using a scanner to determine this or by testing fuel, spark, or compression of those cylinders.

either way, the engine is not getting spark, fuel, or compression is bad.

as stated, without the year of the jeep the engine is in and the year of the donor engine, :banghead:

Ok it is in a 97 and the donor is a 94 i guess.... I just got a rebuilt inline 6 from a shop but it's the H.O. It has all the running gear out of the 94 because i did a 4x4 swap as well. And yea i used a scanner. Thanks sorry for the lack of this information.

Ok it is in a 97 and the donor is a 94 i guess.... I just got a rebuilt inline 6 from a shop but it's the H.O. It has all the running gear out of the 94 because i did a 4x4 swap as well. And yea i used a scanner. Thanks sorry for the lack of this information.

all 4.0 after 1991 are concidered HO.

94 used odb1 and the 97 uses odb2.

i would check/test the plug wires and connections along with the plugs on those 2 cylinders. also test the coil magnetic pick-up. next check for fuel. if all checks out then do a compression check.

Just to make sure, your XJ is a 97 (OBDII) and the donor engine is a 94 (OBDI). As you didn't share trans info (why do people hate to share even the basics?) which flexplate/flywheel did you use? Did you use all of the original 97 sensors--ALL of them? What about the distributor--which year?

The transmission is a 5 speed out of the 94 it had to be changed along with all the other things due to the 4x4 conversion. yes the 97 sensors were to ones that were used I will have to go back and make sure there isn't one that got switched on accident. I just left the distributor in the 94 that was in it. Hopefully I got it all answered. Sorry I didn't know that the transmission had an effect on it. Thanks for the help.

Ok. So we have OBDII 97 engine management harness, PCM, and sensors. The distributor is an OBDI 94, so we can a**ume that the synch sensor (CPS/CMP) is OBDI 94 too? Need to check and see if that changed between 94/97.

Alright, looked up the flywheel, crank sensor, and synch sensor (cam) for both 94 and 97.

The crank sensor is the only part that does not interchange. Which crank sensor did you install? You need the 97.

Back