• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple A/C compressor question

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ I just bought and the A/C didn't work. I found that the expansion valve was stopped up so I replaced it. I vacuumed the system but I notice that when I take the vacuum off the system doesn't hold vacuum because it leaks at the service port. I read on here that the older Cherokee compressors have a compressor valve you have to turn? Any insight?

I have a 92 but I thnik the compressor was changed by then. I will have to look when I get home. My 90 does have that featrue. They are under caps that are a bit long. Once you unscrew the caps, there is a shaft that has to be turned with a tool to operate the valve. The new systems use a Schrader valve like you have on your tires.

BTW: the ports are on the valve and not on the tube connections like the newer systems. So if your port in on a steel tube line, then it is likely you don't have manual valves on the compressor.

You're supposed to vacuum through the manifold gauge. Both high and low pressure lines are connected and both valves on the manifold are open to ensure vacuum is drawn out from both sides of the system. You pull the vacuum to the level required, then simply close the valves.

This allows you to disconnect the vacuum pump from the charging hose and connect your refrigerant source.

Back