• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Receiver Hitch

Tuckman1941

NAXJA Member #747
I have a 2000 XJ which didn't come with a hitch, so naturally I need some sort of rear tow point. Being a poor college student, I'm going to hold off on the sick rear bumper and tire carrier for a while, so I want to mount a standard class III receiver. My dealer told me $340 bucks, which is nuts, but Uhaul told me $190, which is do-able. I'd get a hitch and put it on myself, but I'm 700 miles from my Dad's tools, and I'm really busy here at school between work and sports. I just want to get it on and hit the trail.
I wanted to know what the general thoughts were on each company's hitches (Uhaul, DrawTite, Hidden Hitch, etc) in terms of mounting system (strength) and clearance.

Thanks, Tucker

U-Haul's hitches are made by one of those companies -- Draw-Tite, I think. They're good hitches, but they don't use the factory nut strips in the frame. I just installed a Hidden Hitch on an '88 and I liked it very much. Perfect fit, tucks up behind the bumper except for the receiver tube itself. Very nice. It also doesn't come with nut strips, but I got those from a dealer.

I got the Hidden Hitch from J.C. Whitney for a little over $100 -- plus shipping, of course. If you use the hardware they supply and skip the nut strips, there's no need to remove the rear bumper and the install is fairly easy.

More on the nut cert strips vs just hich bolts in frame.
The nut certs are used to not only attach the hitch but also a rear skid plate. You should already have one strip in place on the passenger side. The tail pipe attaches to one. This quesiton was asked within the last two days or so and ivan posted the part numbers. Go the extra distance and use the nutcerts. Also use plenty of antiseize when reassembling.

I also have the Hidden Hitch (front and rear). Both tuck up nicely and seem like quality pieces. Well worth the money, I think.

i got a hidden hitch from JC and am very happy with it. Simply install and tucks up really nice.

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the rusty's trailer hitch for $125? It is the cheapest place I have found, but was wondering if anyone knows of any that could beat that price? I have a 96 4 dr if it makes a difference.

I also have a 2000 XJ and wanted a Hitch, I looked at Rusty's and a few others but found one off another Cherokee at a local junk yard. Got the hitch and wiring harness. Got the extra nut strip from the dealer and installed everything. The wiring harness plugged right into my existing harness behind the driverside rear panel.

Back