• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a case spreader?

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to remove the carrier in my d30 so I can install my Aussie locker. I've tried every trick in the book and it's barely moved. If it's this hard to get out, it's not going to be any easier to put back in. Just thought I'd see if anyone has a case spreader I could borrow before I try and make one myself.

Trying to remove the carrier in my d30 so I can install my Aussie locker. I've tried every trick in the book and it's barely moved. If it's this hard to get out, it's not going to be any easier to put back in. Just thought I'd see if anyone has a case spreader I could borrow before I try and make one myself.

I am shocked that you need one. I am by no means an expert in this area but I have never needed or used one for a D30 and I don't believe I know anyone else who has needed one? You can't get it with a small prybar or screwdriver? Usually you can use the gear pattern to help "pry" it out?

Michael

This may sound stupid, but did you pull the axles out? Just askin'... not trying to flame, honestly! You'd be suprised at what people miss!:banghead:

Yeah, the axles are completely out. I tried the rag trick, and I just ended up with a few shredded rags. I'm surprised I can't get it out also, I've been doing lots of searching and everyone seems to be able to get it out with a few taps of a hammer and a pry bar.

Take 2 prybars and pry against the ring gear bolts and the center section, one prybar at the top and one prybar on the bottom. That has always worked for me.

Put an end-wrench on one of the bolts and rotate the pinon so that the end wrench rotates upwards (will tighten bolt). Try and make it hit the top of the housing perpendicular to the gasket surface (put a piece of wood between them) and it will force the carrier out until the gear teeth loose their mesh. Then you have to pry on it but it should be a lot easier.

I had this problem with my dana 44. it took two hours to pry it out.

the thing slipped back in with absolute ease.

I pry them out most of the time I do have a home made case spreader if you want to use it PM me Your # If you do not have preload on the bearings it will not be set up right. If you use an air locker this is very critical I always use one to install when I am doing an air locker. Very easy to make one
IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

I put my aussie in with the carrier in it. I just punched the role pin out and pulled the axles and dropped the spiders out and installed the locker.

I believe thats only possible with stock gears. With the 4.56's and 4.88's they stick out over the hole for the cross pin. I've heard of a few people shaving one or two teeth on the ring gear down so it can be removed in place though.

I believe thats only possible with stock gears. With the 4.56's and 4.88's they stick out over the hole for the cross pin. I've heard of a few people shaving one or two teeth on the ring gear down so it can be removed in place though.
Yep ,I heard that ,saw it and then did it ...with success..

I am shocked that you need one. I am by no means an expert in this area but I have never needed or used one for a D30 and I don't believe I know anyone else who has needed one? You can't get it with a small prybar or screwdriver? Usually you can use the gear pattern to help "pry" it out?

Michael
I used a spreader on my 44 but not on my 30 ,maybe next time I`ll use one to put alittle more load on the 30. As long as you work it evenly the 30 comes out without much struggle .

Back