• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sand Flea Pics!

mopar440

NAXJA Forum User
Just a few... arived late, and followed the guys around... must enter next year... looked like fun!

L-O-O-O-NG line for second checkpoint!
DSC06030.jpg

Our heroes, Rod and Dustin...
DSC06029.jpg

Dustin and copilot @ start of "Egg Relay"...
DSC06038.jpg

In the slalom lane...
DSC06040.jpg

Rod and copilot at same event...
DSC06035.jpg

In the slaloms...
DSC06036.jpg

Rod at third checkpoint...
DSC06033.jpg

And Dustin...
DSC06034.jpg

That's all the pics I got of events... but I did manage to catch this '78ish Camaro! We 'wheelers are an inventive bunch!
DSC06043.jpg

Dave, (98RedXJBuilder) was there, and got some pics too, not sure if he got any of the events... we did some sand-blasting together...

This was an interesting trip for sure.

Rod and I headed out Friday late afternoon under blue skies, and the closer we got to the coast the worse the weather was looking. We made a few stops along the way, some intentional, some not :)D). We ended up out on the sand around 7:00pm, and started to set up camp. Not long after that the skies opened up for a few hours. Needless to say we were a few hours into the weekend, and things weren't looking good.

Saturday morning rolled around and we got our registration packets for the rally. We got a group together around 9:00 and set out to find the checkpoints after that. This was my first time in sand so it took me a little while to get a feel for it, and how the Sandflea Rally works. After getting some good inside info on some checkpoint locations we found Cp 1.

NAXJA NWC gang sign?
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Darel and Rick from Pistons Wild. I was surprised to see a lot of familiar rigs out on the sand this weekend.
IMG_0004.jpg

This was Cp 3, where the passenger had to toss a frisbee into hoola hoops on the ground while the driver had to keep the vehicle moving (low range :cool:).
IMG_0005.jpg

I'll admit it was pretty neat to be able to drive right next to the ocean. Hopefully my junk doesn't turn into more of a rust bucket than it already is. :laugh3:
IMG_0006.jpg

We stopped for a bite to eat around noon, and were able to find the remaining check points, and two rovers by 2:30. Later on the raffle and awards ceremony took place, and once again the rain came out again.

Later that evening Rod and I set out to see what we could find for a few hours.
IMG_0007.jpg

:cool:
IMG_0010.jpg

All in all, it was a fun trip and good to get away for the weekend. I'll be back next year for the rally, and I'm sure a few others will be entering as well. Maybe we can plan another Sandlake trip for later in the summer too.

Dave and Keith, good seeing you guys out there. :thumbup:

I finally had a chance to sit down and upload some pictures. Got home around 1, spent 4 hours unpacking and cleaning up the jeep and camping gear. Gotta love sand ! Just got back from dropping it off to start on the cage
icon10.gif

Had a great time. Lil bit more rain than i'd hoped for, but we managed to stay semi dry. Was great to have some NAXJA folks there for a change too ! Here's a few pics...

a.m. check in
004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

The infamous line at checkpoint 2 - Holy crap !
016.jpg

018.jpg

they come in all shapes and sizes
027.jpg

The hula hoop contest
032.jpg

sack races
036.jpg

Good times !

Thx Dave! Going to Noobfest?

Back