• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche measurement?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I realize mileage might vary... but I'm looking at a stack of drive shafts and wondering if any of them will work for me after I spring over my MJ.

Its a short box 6-cylinder with AX-15 and NP 231 with an old SYE on it (not the super short stuff out now). I'm thinking of going spring over on stock springs.

Anyone have a setup close to this that could measure their rear D-shaft for me at ride height?

Thanks.

Hey Pete...you got a new MJ???

Dana 35 rear now, but I have a 44 on standby. I'd have figured maybe an inch difference for the two.

Yeah, Johnny got a 91. No idea why, you know me, not like I need another Jeep but the guy came down to the price I was willing to pay.

I'm at a buddy's place and he's got a stack of unknown driveshafts from unknown past projects, free to me if I think I can use em, so I figured I'd ask if anyone could get me close.

I'm betting they are all too short, as most of his old projects are SWB Jeeps, but he has done some toyota trucks, so maybe.

On my LWB, going from stock w/35 to SOA w/44 was about perfect, maybe just a tad more spline engagement, but it doesn't bottom out
Since I dont have a MJ avatar, here's a pic:
adamflex4.jpg

LOL@ Avatar thing.

My 91, like all my others is 2WD. The trans and Tcase are on the ground. I'm trying to get enough parts together to make it driveable when I do the swap, without parts-hunting in the middle of a swap.

Does your driver's door still open? Nice Wag front clip. I might do that on this one.

When I got my rear driveshaft custom built, I believe the yoke-to-yoke was about 46 inches. That's with an auto, SWB, 231 w/ SYE and a D44.

CrazyJim went SOA on the d35 shortly after I traded him my SWB MJ. he might have some insight for you via PM Pete.

EDIT: just saw you are converting to 4wd. not sure he could help you as his is still 2wd.

When I lifted my red one, (MJ#1) which happened to come with the 44, I went up 6.5 inches and didn't need to do anything with the D-shaft... until it became 4WD.

46 Johnny? And the AW4 is what... like 2 inches longer than an AX15?

I really doubt there is anything that long in that pile. From looking, about 3 feet seemed max.

Thanks for the link.

If I had my MJ here I could figure out what the shaft length needed to be. But that link primarily deals with stock height trucks, not lifted ones.

I see the 42.25 and 43.25, but without knowing the drop or the run I can't figure the new needed length.

That said, there is nothing in the pile o' shafts that is that long anyway.

Back