• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case, SYE, drive shaft woes

jts93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 97 XJ from a local guy - it was just sitting in his yard for about a year. I6, Manual, 231, 4.5" RE kit, full packs, the works. So I took a shot in the dark at $1500 (amazing price for a lifted one on Oahu).

Long story short, the guy who lifted it apparently put a cheap SYE on there so it's got a nasty grinding sound coming from the T-case. I took it to Maui Offroad over here, and they said that it must be grinding up something on the inside (he used fancier words, but i've never worked on t-case inner workings).

My question: Where to from here? It's just a project - however, I'd like to get it back on the road somewhat quick so my son and I can cruise again. Should I...

1) Re-build the T-case, put on a new SYE kit, and put a new rear driveshaft

2) Re-build T-case, drop the T-case, and play the drive-shaft by ear from there

3) Get a junkyard T-case to replace it, and either drop it, or SYE it.

Thanks guys! Oh, here's some pics...

100_5132.jpg

100_5134.jpg

100_5133.jpg

100_5137.jpg

100_5128.jpg

1st drain the oil from the t-case and see what it looks like

2nd. If there is a lot of metal in the oil, or no oil, remove transfer case.

3rd. Open up transfer case and inspect internals.

4th. The results of your inspection will tell you what was grinding, Quadratec or 4wd hardware will tell you how much parts are, andyou can make your decision on replacing or rebuilding there. The 231 is a very simple case to work on.

X2. By the way, looks like an awesome deal for $1500.

Roger that guys. I'll pull it soon and check it out. Odds are, I'll post some pics of it up here when it's all torn apart.

Yeah, even though it needs a good amount of work, I'm still pretty happy with the find. I also picked up a 93 XJ stock today for $1100 for my DD. :) It's an obsession

I was surprised when I saw the pictures.

From the way you typed I thought you were taller. :D

haha, yup. i'll be installing an elevator on this XJ soon :) hah, the first time my son tried to get out of it, he gave up and just started crying "it's too high!"

made me feel good :) then i remembered my son's crying, so i felt bad.

What are the pro's and con's of a t-case drop? I'm planning my re-build after replace/rebuilding the t-case and driveline, and i'd like to know if i should go ahead and plan on it. is there any negatives really to it?

T-case drop is the lazy way to avoid installing a SYE. I would avoid it if possible, as it stresses your motor/trans mounts, and leaves vulnerable parts hanging closer to the rocks.

Looks like you need more water pressure. And Socal XJ stickers, wonder how they ended up on a Hawaii Jeep. Guessing a servicemember had it shipped over.

Yes, it belonged to a Marine before the guy I bought it from. It's got more than a few mainland Jamboree-type event stickers on the inside dash, too.

And why does Rusty's Off Road recommend the T-case drops, if they cause damage to your mounts?

With a 4.5" lift and a manual transmission a 1" t/case drop should be fine.

Yes, it puts a little tweak on the motor mounts, but nothing terrible. Yes, it lowers the t/case 1", but with the NP231/242 you would be wise to run a skid plate as the cases are thin.

If you already have a SYE you wouldn't gain anything by adding a t/case drop. I would consider locating another t/case and perhaps fixing the SYE so it can be used with the new t/case.

Roger that Joe - thanks. And Semper Fi!

I do plan on putting a new SYE on after the re-build of the t-case anyway, so given that info, I'll just steer clear of the t-case drop. And I am in the process of picking out a skidplate - just because :)

Soooo anything to rebuild the T-case is going to cost extra and is going to take a considerable amount of time to get to Oahu, so I'm just going to get a JY 231 T-case and swap it in.

With an un-tampered with t-case, and installing a SYE with a Tom Woods rear driveshaft, is there going to be cutting involved, or will Tom Woods go ahead and take care of the right measurements for me?

I've searched and searched and read and read, but I can't seem to find just a write-up on installing a SYE step by step. This is something I've never messed with.

Any input is appreciated!

Supply Tom with your measurements, and he will ship you a custom driveshaft made to fit your Jeep and all the parts necessary to do the SYE conversion. No cutting or drilling, just disassembly of your TC and reassembly with the new parts. His website has some step by step install instructions.

My concern with the tcase drops is that the whole engine is tilted down, therefore stress is put on the exhaust system. It's just like lifting up the exhaust pipe permanently. I bet there are people driving around with leaking exhaust seals created by stressing the piping.

Is Maui Offroad any good? They seem to cater to the poser offroaders with the huge lifts, wide wide wide wheels, and skateboard tires...

Yeah they're good honest guys for the most part, with a few tools mixed in. I'd have to say that Maui Offroad has some lower standards than Oahu Krawlers in terms of what they'll do. Maui will pretty much do whatever you ask them to - for a pretty penny. I went into Oahu Krawlers to ask about installing a Rough Country lift on an XJ I used to have, and he straight up told me that they won't install them because then he can't guarantee his work. Anyone who can turn down work to keep his word and reputation has got my respect

Yeah they're good honest guys for the most part, with a few tools mixed in. I'd have to say that Maui Offroad has some lower standards than Oahu Krawlers in terms of what they'll do. Maui will pretty much do whatever you ask them to - for a pretty penny. I went into Oahu Krawlers to ask about installing a Rough Country lift on an XJ I used to have, and he straight up told me that they won't install them because then he can't guarantee his work. Anyone who can turn down work to keep his word and reputation has got my respect

He wouldn't install a packaged lift from a known manufacturer for you? Nice.

Back