• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 filter in 2001 XJ

ariff390

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I have been a lurker on here awhile. A few weeks ago I finally got my first Cherokee it is a 2001 limited with 156k miles and I really like it. The guy I bought it from was the only owner and he took very good care of it. I am in the process of researching what I need to do to renew all the fluids. Since it is due. I asked the PO about the transmission filter and here was his response.

As for the tranny filter the Aisin-Warner AW-4 tranny does not have a typical replaceable filter in it like most trannys do, again Jeep claims the only time you replace the "filter" which is actually just a screen, is during an overhaul. Can do searches to find that info out. I thought it was odd too!! But that's the way they built that tranny, you just flush and refill with Dex II\III about three times. I don't think you'll ever get out all the fluid from the torque converter, but I've done the tranny fluid 3 times in that and have really tried my best to flush every bit of the old fluids out. The last time it was done was probably around 40k miles ago. Wouldn't hurt to do it again since it's so easy to do.

So from reading my Haynes manual and doing more searches it sounds like there is in fact a filter in there that should be changed as part of your regular maintenaence. Can anyone confirm this or was the PO of my Cherokee on the right track? I know my 98 Honda accord I had before did not have serviceable filter. So it does not sound way off.
Thanks

screen, po on right track. When I first got my heep I was very happy to discover it has a toyota transmission and they are dependable

I've heard both... I'd replace it just in case, but that's just me.

If you go to NAPA for the kit, don't believe their computer, the AW-4 uses the ATP B112 "filter"/gasket kit while their computer will give you the gasket set for the 3-speed auto behind the 4cyl and perhaps V6 engines (I'm fairly ignorant of the 84-86 engines, but I know this kit is the wrong one.)

I am leaning on replacing the filter since it has never been done. I got a coupon for Advanced auto so I'll most likely go there. I usually like to use Napa or Car Quest.. Here is what I found on Advance Auto's site.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Automatic-Transmission-Filter-Kit-Pro-King_5152747-P_1158_R%7CGRPFILTAMS_752851747___
Does this look right. I'll also plan on using the reqular old Valvoline Dex
Merc III fluid for the transmission and Transfer case. Any thoughts on their Max life product? I usually like to stay away from any high additive fluids which I am suspecting it has.
Thanks.

I'm running Maxlife in both my XJ and my MJ... XJ transmission is on its way out, but it was already having issues when I changed the fluid. MJ's doing great with (as far as I know) the original AW-4 at 208k on the clock. Figured it couldn't really hurt at this point and might help, who knows which it actually did?

Agreed that it's just a metal screen that can be flushed with carb cleaner. However the only way I've seen to get the pan gasket is with the filter kit.

By coincidence, I just had a shop drop the pan and change the fluid this week. On my invoice is "Filter, AW4 Jeep 4x4 #S97712", as well as a pan gasket.

I was led to believe that there is a filter "envelope", besides the screen.

its a replaceable screen. i agree no need to change it unless the trans is on its way out! mike

The AW4 tranny filter is enclosed in a metal case, that does not come apart, so how can one tell if it has been thoroughly cleaned. It's one of the easiest to change/replace tranny filters I've done.......it's separating the dip stick tube that may/may not be tricky. It will take longer to clean an old filter than it will to simply put in a new filter. A new one is like $23 and includes a new pan gasket. Since the factory made the tranny filter easily replaceable, why not replace it?

All you gotta do is shoot a little pb blaster into the junction from above and heat it a bit and it should twist/pull apart very easily.

kndrewa,
Awesome post thanks so much this will help me and others out big time. Thanks to everyone else for the hints on seperating the dipstick tube.

Back